Rclone copy with --fast-list does not start copying after listing

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I use rclone copy to produce daily backups (top-off) of a AWS S3 bucket into another AWS S3 bucket. The source bucket contains 1.8M objects, between 1K and 10M per object (total size appr. 400G). Every day I get around 25K new objects in the source bucket. We previously used rclone copy remote:bucket-01 remote:bucket-02 --checksum , which terminates successfully after appr. 2 hours for a top-off backup on our machine. We are trying to reduce the number of List-Requests and have one directory per object, and are therefore experimenting with adding --fast-list to our command. Our problem: Even after 4 hours of execution, rclone does not start to transfer objects. We tried to debug with --dump headers: For the first 5 minutes rclone sends LIST-requests to both bucket-01 and bucket-02. From the markers in the query strings of the LIST-requests I can deduce, that both buckets are fully listed in the first 5 minutes. After the listing completes, --dump headers shows no subsequent requests at all. The memory usage on my machine grows to 3.3GB/4GB during the listing, which is more or less consistent with the expected 1K memory per listed object using --fast-list. After the 5 minutes, the CPU load consistently stays at 100%, but the logs show no output other than the progress update each minute. I also ran the command with a small number of objects (10 objects in the source bucket, 5 objects in the destination bucket), which terminated without problems. What is rclone computing after the listing? What is causing the 100% CPU load after the listing? Is there a way to speed this up? Do I need a better machine?

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.57.0

• os/version: debian 11.2 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.10.0-8-amd64 (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.17.2
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

AWS S3

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone copy remote:bucket-01 remote:bucket-02 --fast-list --checksum -vv

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[remote]
type = s3
provider = AWS
env_auth = false
access_key_id = XXX
secret_access_key = XXX
region = eu-central-1
endpoint =
location_constraint =
acl =
server_side_encryption =
storage_class =

A log from the command with the -vv flag

rclone copy remote:bucket-01 remote:bucket-02 --fast-list --checksum -vv
2022/05/20 15:37:47 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.57.0" starting with parameters ["rclone" "copy" "remote:bucket-01" "remote:bucket-02" "--fast-list" "--checksum" "-vv"]
2022/05/20 15:37:47 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "remote:bucket-01"
2022/05/20 15:37:47 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/XXX/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2022/05/20 15:37:47 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "remote:bucket-02"
2022/05/20 15:38:47 INFO  :
Transferred:   	          0 B / 0 B, -, 0 B/s, ETA -
Elapsed time:       1m0.0s

2022/05/20 15:39:47 INFO  :
Elapsed time:       2m0.0s

2022/05/20 15:40:47 INFO  :
Elapsed time:       3m0.0s

2022/05/20 15:41:47 INFO  :
Elapsed time:       4m0.0s

(the status message keeps coming, the longest I have waited is 4 hours)

See:

Unable to migrate huge S3 Bucket (500 millions objects / around 100Tb) - Help and Support - rclone forum

as a good starting point.

How much memory has your machine got? Is it swapping?

It should be pretty quick once it has got everything in memory.

If you can, can you run a profile when it has got to that busy part. See the docs for how to enable it

Then take a look at this which you can do with a webbrowser

• 5-second execution trace: wget http://localhost:5572/debug/pprof/trace?seconds=5

Or this with pprof which can draw fancy graphs

• 30-second CPU profile: go tool pprof http://localhost:5572/debug/pprof/profile

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.