Rclone copy --max-age with empty directories

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm running a copy from a local machine to a remote. I have lots (thousands) of new empty directories that I will need to copy. The issue is I can not find a way for rclone to filter the --create-empty-src-dirs flag by directory modified time.

I run this copy daily. The number of new directories created in a day will usually be <1000, and total files even less than that. In my case, it appears like rclone is checking EVERY existing empty directory for changes (millions), even if they were created weeks ago. I'd like the ability to have an option similar to --max-age that would work for directories. I can't seem to find this capability anywhere. If I remove the --create-empty-src-dirs flag that command runs in a couple of minutes, compared to hours if it's included (even though 99% of the empty directories are already created on the remote).

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.57.0

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

OneDrive / SharePoint

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone copy "locafolder" share:"locafolder" -P --no-traverse --update --create-empty-src-dirs --ignore-case --max-age 3d

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

A log from the command with the -vv flag

hello and welcome to the forum,

rclone does not support modtime for directories.

might be able to use filterting, to exclude the directories.

I thought that might be the case. There's potential to add it as an option in the future though.

For now I've made a console app to build the filter file with all the recently created folders, and am using this with rclone --filter-from now instead (and --create-empty-src-dirs)

this has been discussed many times in the forum,
if i remember, there is a github issue about it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.