Rclone Copy Error "failed to open source object: open file failed: googleapi: Error 403: Only files with binary content can be downloaded. Use Export with Docs Editors files., fileNotDownloadable"

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I have been using rclone for the last 2 months to periodically copy a Google Sheet from Google Drive. Rclone has now all of a sudden stopped being able to copy the Google Sheet file from the Google Drive and states the reason as "failed to open source object: open file failed: googleapi: Error 403: Only files with binary content can be downloaded. Use Export with Docs Editors files., fileNotDownloadable"

I am really confused as to what has changed here that is now preventing rclone from being able to copy this file. As a test, I used Google Sheets to make a copy of the file I am having issues with and then used rclone to copy the new file to my laptop without any issues.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

v1.55.1

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Linux Ubuntu Webserver 20.04.2 LTS

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone -vv --drive-shared-with-me --drive-impersonate dropper@algo-drops.iam.gserviceaccount.com copy algowatcher:WOL\ Distribution.xlsx ./

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[algowatcher]
type = drive
scope = drive
service_account_file = /home/avislash/algorand/algo_dropper.json
allow_import_name_change = true
team_drive =

A log from the command with the -vv flag

2021/07/17 13:34:47 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/avislash/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2021/07/17 13:34:47 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.55.1" starting with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "--drive-shared-with-me" "--drive-impersonate" "dropper@algo-drops.iam.gserviceaccount.com" "copy" "algowatcher:WOL Distribution.xlsx" "./" "--log-file=rclone_copy.out"]
2021/07/17 13:34:47 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "algowatcher:WOL Distribution.xlsx"
2021/07/17 13:34:47 DEBUG : algowatcher: detected overridden config - adding "{r4fNy}" suffix to name
2021/07/17 13:34:47 DEBUG : Google drive root 'WOL Distribution.xlsx': root_folder_id = "0AAh_rBTPjdBsUk9PVA" - save this in the config to speed up startup
2021/07/17 13:34:48 DEBUG : fs cache: adding new entry for parent of "algowatcher:WOL Distribution.xlsx", "algowatcher{r4fNy}:"
2021/07/17 13:34:48 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "./"
2021/07/17 13:34:48 DEBUG : fs cache: renaming cache item "./" to be canonical "/home/avislash/wol"
2021/07/17 13:34:48 DEBUG : WOL Distribution: Need to transfer - File not found at Destination
2021/07/17 13:34:50 ERROR : WOL Distribution: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open file failed: googleapi: Error 403: Only files with binary content can be downloaded. Use Export with Docs Editors files., fileNotDownloadable
2021/07/17 13:34:50 ERROR : Attempt 1/3 failed with 1 errors and: failed to open source object: open file failed: googleapi: Error 403: Only files with binary content can be downloaded. Use Export with Docs Editors files., fileNotDownloadable
2021/07/17 13:34:50 DEBUG : WOL Distribution: Need to transfer - File not found at Destination
2021/07/17 13:34:53 ERROR : WOL Distribution: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open file failed: googleapi: Error 403: Only files with binary content can be downloaded. Use Export with Docs Editors files., fileNotDownloadable
2021/07/17 13:34:53 ERROR : Attempt 2/3 failed with 1 errors and: failed to open source object: open file failed: googleapi: Error 403: Only files with binary content can be downloaded. Use Export with Docs Editors files., fileNotDownloadable
2021/07/17 13:34:53 DEBUG : WOL Distribution: Need to transfer - File not found at Destination
2021/07/17 13:34:55 ERROR : WOL Distribution: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open file failed: googleapi: Error 403: Only files with binary content can be downloaded. Use Export with Docs Editors files., fileNotDownloadable
2021/07/17 13:34:55 ERROR : Attempt 3/3 failed with 1 errors and: failed to open source object: open file failed: googleapi: Error 403: Only files with binary content can be downloaded. Use Export with Docs Editors files., fileNotDownloadable
2021/07/17 13:34:55 INFO  :
Transferred:             0 / 0 Bytes, -, 0 Bytes/s, ETA -
Errors:                 1 (retrying may help)
Elapsed time:         8.3s

2021/07/17 13:34:55 DEBUG : 6 go routines active
2021/07/17 13:34:55 Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open file failed: googleapi: Error 403: Only files with binary content can be downloaded. Use Export with Docs Editors files., fileNotDownloadable

Additionally, per the log the debug output says the file is not available. When I do

rclone -vv --drive-shared-with-me --drive-impersonate dropper@algo-drops.iam.gserviceaccount.com ls algowatcher:

I see

<7>DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/avislash/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
<7>DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.55.1" starting with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "--drive-shared-with-me" "--drive-impersonate" "dropper@algo-drops.iam.gserviceaccount.com" "ls" "algowatcher:"]
<7>DEBUG : rclone: systemd logging support activated
<7>DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "algowatcher:"
<7>DEBUG : algowatcher: detected overridden config - adding "{r4fNy}" suffix to name
<7>DEBUG : Google drive root '': root_folder_id = "0AAh_rBTPjdBsUk9PVA" - save this in the config to speed up startup
<7>DEBUG : fs cache: renaming cache item "algowatcher:" to be canonical "algowatcher{r4fNy}:"
     5993 WOL Distribution

So the file is definitely there. Any insight into why rclone copy suddenly stopped working would be greatly appreciated it.

Thanks!

2 Likes

There are a few posts on that and an issue here:

Best to follow the issue.

Thanks for this post @avislash, I am experiencing the same. It's a new issue within the last 48 hours, which indicates to me that something has changed on the Google Drive API side that is not jiving well with rclone.

Thanks for the pointer to GitHub @Animosity022, but I am not seeing a clear correlation to that issue (different error, seems to be related to user's use of import/export formats).

I have been backing up my Drive successfully with the same rclone copy command for many months, but now getting this error for every new and/or modified doc in my Drive (as rclone detects a change and attempts to download it).

I linked the wrong issue above:

Is the right one.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing to the correct GitHub issue. So if I'm reading the comments correctly this is fixed in rclone v1.56.0-beta and will be part of the next release?

Also thanks for the response @rtomac I wasn't sure what the original issue had to do with this either and didn't have a chance to post for clarification!

Ah, thank you @Animosity022 and @avislash!

Using Rclone v1.56 resolved this issue for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.