Rclone config dir owned by root

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Failed to save config after 10 tries: Failed to create temp file for new config: open /home/ubuntu/.config/rclone/rclone.conf179484108: permission denied

Based on Rclone curl install issue this seems like an old resolved issue.
That said, I also found https://github.com/rclone/rclone/pull/3896 which may have reintroduced the issue?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.51.0
- os/arch: linux/amd64
- go version: go1.13.7

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu, x86_64

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone config

I can confirm that sudo chown ubuntu: ~/.config/rclone/ fixes the issue after install.

1 Like

Can you share more detail on what steps you did? What were the permissions before you changed it?

How can I reproduce it?

I was able to reproduce this on a fresh AWS EC2 instance using AMI ami-07ebfd5b3428b6f4d (Canonical, Ubuntu, 18.04 LTS, amd64 bionic image build on 2020-01-12)

1. ssh ubuntu@[ip address]
  2. curl https://rclone.org/install.sh | sudo bash
  3. rclone config

I then tried to create a new Google Drive connection using all the defaults except the authentication since this is a headless machine.

Not sure the best way to document all the options I chose, but there are all the input lines.

n/s/q> n
name> test
Storage> 13
client_id> 
client_secret> 
scope> 
root_folder_id> 
service_account_file> 
y/n> 
y/n> n
y/n> 
y/e/d> 

And here is the output.
2020/03/14 21:34:26 Failed to save config after 10 tries: Failed to create temp file for new config: open /home/ubuntu/.config/rclone/rclone.conf089022473: permission denied

I am pretty sure this is just an issue of running install.sh as root and then running rclone config as a non root user.

Ah, this will be an unintended consequence of

:frowning:

Maybe I should revert that - what do you think?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.