Rclone cache not needed for plex?

I was reading some posts that using rclone cache and plex isn't really required anymore? I am curious why this was recommended in the first place?

My current setup right now is gdrive>cache, would I have to do anything different besides changing my mount command or will I have to make some edits in the config if I wanted to do gdrive>crypt? I am currently running v1.51 with the mount command as:
rclone mount -vvv --allow-non-empty gcache: /Users/User

You deleted the template which gives information on your setup. You didn't supply any information as to how you configured it.

Prior to a few years back, the cache backend came into existence before ranged requests on the default VFS backend so it always looked like a full download even if you read a few bytes of a file. VFS chunked reading came into play so you don't need the cache backend anymore as that was a few years back at this point.

The cache backend currently does not have a maintainer so unless you have a reason, I would not use it.

Would not using the cache effect any remote play?

What further info would you need? I think I supplied enough, but I running on macOS 10.14.6 connected to google drive

We'd need to know what your config looks like to answer what you need to change as well as the command line you use. Both of those are the reason we ask for this in a template otherwise there is a lot of back and forth to get to the point of actually answering the question. The template asks for this. You could have configured this with command line parameters, config, etc. You could also have used different ordering of remotes in the config.

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here

A log from the command with the -vv flag (eg output from rclone -vv copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste  log here

hi,
i have never used the cache backend for anything ever.
i also do not use the VFS flags.

i stream 4k no problem
rclone mount remote: b:\mount\media --read-only

try it without the cache backend and without flags and see what happens.

Are you using any kind of crypt setup though?

yes, i am using crypt.

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Please see top post

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version )

Please see top post

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Please see top post

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Please see top post - google drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp )

Please see top post

A log from the command with the -vv flag (eg output from rclone -vv copy /tmp remote:tmp )

N/A

Please let me know if I am missing anything

if you want to use a crypt, then you would need to make some simple changes to your config.

• create a bucket on gdrive, let's call it media
  • using rclone config, create a crypt, let's call it gcrypt pointing to gdrive:media
  • now you can rclone copy gdrive: gcrypt:
  • now you can rclone mount gcrypt: /Users/User

Thanks. That helped me help you. I'll take a look and let you know.

By doing this, will that effect how my current media is stored? Will my plex library be completely re-scanned? If it is I would rather do away with the crypt and just mount it directly without the cache.

to crypt or not to crypt, that is the question.

if you want to use a crypt, you have to move/copy the files into the crypt, no way around that.
when you move files into the crypt, rclone will encrypt them.
then you point plex to the mount and plex would have to scan

Well that just answered my question, I don't want to have to add an extra step of transferring files. I am going to try and just mount directly without the cache and see what happens

glad to help. let us know how things go witthout the cache.

Why I ever setup the cache I will never know, works fine without it. Would you recommend I delete the cache setup config in rclone? Also, right now my cache is just named cache but the way I have it mounted is to my "gdrive" are they one in the same?

yeah, lots of people use cache without knowing why.

there is no need to delete the cache setup from the config file.
however, as there is no passwords or other important info, you can delete the entry.

Noted, mounted without the cache and worked perfectly

Looks like the connection dropped for some reason, please see the logs below and let me know what you would need from me to help troubleshoot. I was doing a scan after adding a movie and this happened.

One thing I noticed was that mount was named gdrive but in plex I have it pointed to gcache, not sure if that makes a difference

The mount command was crclone mount -vvv gdrive: /Users/Users/gcache

https://privatebin.net/?8fa8c8fdfd9497ef#6NLKTWPj6YQjLd3s4yqRFRa8Lwe586zTo6uhCWfLnUM8