Rclone Big performance problems with S3 object storage

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Poor perfomance of / (system) backup on ubuntu 20.04 with an S3 compatible storage object from the same VPS supplier

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

:~# rclone version -vv

2022/06/03 19:07:22 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.58.1" starting with parameters ["rclone" "version" "-vv"]

rclone v1.58.1

• os/version: ubuntu 20.04 (64 bit)

• os/kernel: 5.4.0-113-generic (x86_64)

• os/type: linux

• os/arch: amd64

• go/version: go1.17.9

• go/linking: static

• go/tags: none

2022/06/03 19:07:22 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.58.1" finishing with parameters ["rclone" "version" "-vv"]

Are you on the latest version of rclone? You can validate by checking the version listed here: Rclone downloads
--> YES

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

S3 compatible storage

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

/usr/bin/rclone copy --update --transfers 30 --checkers 8 --contimeout 60s --timeout 300s --retries 3 --low-level-retries 10 "/" "mybucket/backup-${today}"

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

# cat .config/rclone/rclone.conf
[A1]
type = s3
provider = Ceph
access_key_id = XXXXXXXXXXXXXxx
secret_access_key = YYYYYYYYYYYYYY
endpoint = https://ZZZZZZZZZ.com
#

A log from the command with the -vv flag

# pidof rclone
# ps -p 123456 -o etime
    ELAPSED
   18:00:20
#
I set the rclone command backup yesterday late at night around 1H00 am and was hoping that it will complete the backup in less then 1 hour!  but it took 18H00 and it's still running (but will stop it and kill the rclpone process as it's consuming around 80% of my CPU power!!
I tested rclone before lunching a full backup with a small file of 50MB and it completed the clone in 8seconds!
My system has 17GB in total (around 5GB are just mysql binlog files that started to increase with the latest mysql V 8).
(Bearing in mind the 50MB file backed up by rclone in 8s, the 17000 MB data should be backed up in around 45 min!)

I just needed to have a clean backup before purging those binlog files but rclone is NOT helping at the moment!

# df
Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
udev             4044892        0   4044892   0% /dev
tmpfs             814820    50944    763876   7% /run
/dev/sda2       49225364 17099592  29592860  37% /

NB: I checked my syslog file, but there's No Data in it about rclone!
(aside the information when the rclone command was launched.)

Appreciate your recommendations on how to fix my rclone parameters and have my backup done in a proper manner.
Thank you!

You’re not backing up to S3! You’re backing up to a local folder called mybucket

You want A1:mybucket/…

Thank you Justin,

(My mistake on this) In deed my rclone command is as below:

/usr/bin/rclone copy --update --transfers 30 --checkers 8 --contimeout 60s --timeout 300s --retries 3 --low-level-retries 10 "/" "A1:mybucket/backup-${today}"

IT copies the data into my bucket (data is there but I dont trust it since the process doesn't end properly and have to kill the process of the rclone command).
Appreciate any ideas on how to solve this and have a proper reliable backup!!!
Thank you.

Take a look at the rclone log (it is sent to stderr) that should tell us what is going wrong.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.