RClone basic setup from tutorial not working(i am pretty new to this stuff)

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

im following this tutorial as it carries into another tutorial to setup jellyfin and im not very good at this type of stuff, it doesnt seem to work whenever i check the status.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

root@server:/home/ubuntu# rclone version
rclone v1.61.0

• os/version: ubuntu 22.04 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.15.0-1021-oracle (aarch64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: arm64
  • go/version: go1.19.4
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Are you on the latest version of rclone? You can validate by checking the version listed here: Rclone downloads
--> yes

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

sudo systemctl status gdrive.service

(This command is from the tutorial i was following which is here)

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[Unit]
Description= RClone Mount Service
After=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=notify
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount \
–config=/home/ubuntu/.config/rclone/rclone.conf \
–user-agent=sauberlab \
–allow-other \
–timeout=1h \
–poll-interval=15s \
–dir-cache-time=1000h \
–cache-dir=/mnt/rclone/cache/gmedia \
–vfs-cache-mode=full \
–vfs-cache-max-size=20G \
–vfs-cache-max-age=12h \
crypt-gdrive: /mnt/cloud
ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -uz /mnt/cloud
Restart=on-abort
RestartSec=5
StartLimitInterval=60s
StartLimitBurst=3

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

i dont know what command i am meant to do here

hello and welcome to the forum,

--- fwiw, get the rclone command fully working on the command line, then try systemd.

--- should add a log file
--log-level=DEBUG --log-file=/path/to/rclone.log

--- post the output of sudo systemctl status gdrive.service

--- not sure if this is just a copy/paste issue or what, most flags use --, not -
so try --config instead of –config

- Try systemmd then get the log file
im not sure what command im meant to do here

-Output of sudo systemctl status gdrive.service

root@server:/home/ubuntu# sudo systemctl start gdrive.service
Job for gdrive.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status gdrive.service" and "journalctl -xeu gdrive.service" for details.

ok, now post the output of those two commands.

1st command

× gdrive.service - RClone Mount Service
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/gdrive.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2022-12-23 16:56:47 UTC; 1h 13min ago
    Process: 18847 ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount –config=/home/ubuntu/.config/rclone/rclone.conf –user-agent=sauberlab –allow-other –timeout=1h –poll>
   Main PID: 18847 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
        CPU: 42ms

Dec 23 16:56:47 server rclone[18847]:       --vfs-write-wait Duration                Time to wait for in-sequence write before giving error (default 1s)
Dec 23 16:56:47 server rclone[18847]:       --volname string                         Set the volume name (supported on Windows and OSX only)
Dec 23 16:56:47 server rclone[18847]:       --write-back-cache                       Makes kernel buffer writes before sending them to rclone (without >
Dec 23 16:56:47 server rclone[18847]: Use "rclone [command] --help" for more information about a command.
Dec 23 16:56:47 server rclone[18847]: Use "rclone help flags" for to see the global flags.
Dec 23 16:56:47 server rclone[18847]: Use "rclone help backends" for a list of supported services.
Dec 23 16:56:47 server rclone[18847]: Command mount needs 2 arguments maximum: you provided 12 non flag arguments: ["–config=/home/ubuntu/.config/rclon>
Dec 23 16:56:47 server systemd[1]: gdrive.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Dec 23 16:56:47 server systemd[1]: gdrive.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Dec 23 16:56:47 server systemd[1]: Failed to start RClone Mount Service.
~
~
~
~
~
~

2nd command

Dec 23 16:56:47 server rclone[18847]: Command mount needs 2 arguments maximum: you provided 12 non flag arguments: ["–config=/home/ubuntu/.config/rclon>
Dec 23 16:56:47 server systemd[1]: gdrive.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
░░ Subject: Unit process exited
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
░░
░░ An ExecStart= process belonging to unit gdrive.service has exited.
░░
░░ The process' exit code is 'exited' and its exit status is 1.
Dec 23 16:56:47 server systemd[1]: gdrive.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
░░ Subject: Unit failed
░░
░░ The unit gdrive.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
Dec 23 16:56:47 server systemd[1]: Failed to start RClone Mount Service.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit gdrive.service has failed
░░
░░ A start job for unit gdrive.service has finished with a failure.
░░
░░ The job identifier is 3708 and the job result is failed.

did you see my comment from above.

–config, that flag does not exist.
––config that flag does exist.

for each flag in your command, check the docs, does it use single dash or use a double dash.
in your case, with ExecStart, every rclone flag requires a double dash, not a single dash

that is my current config
and i still get this

root@server:/home/ubuntu# sudo service gdrive restart
Job for gdrive.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status gdrive.service" and "journalctl -xeu gdrive.service" for details.
root@server:/home/ubuntu# systemctl status gdrive.service
× gdrive.service - RClone Mount Service
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/gdrive.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2022-12-23 19:55:46 UTC; 15s ago
    Process: 20114 ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount –config=/home/ubuntu/.config/rclone/rclone.conf –user-agent=sauberlab –allow-other –timeout=1h –poll>
   Main PID: 20114 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
        CPU: 42ms

Dec 23 19:55:46 server rclone[20114]:       --vfs-write-wait Duration                Time to wait for in-sequence write before giving error (default 1s)
Dec 23 19:55:46 server rclone[20114]:       --volname string                         Set the volume name (supported on Windows and OSX only)
Dec 23 19:55:46 server rclone[20114]:       --write-back-cache                       Makes kernel buffer writes before sending them to rclone (without >
Dec 23 19:55:46 server rclone[20114]: Use "rclone [command] --help" for more information about a command.
Dec 23 19:55:46 server rclone[20114]: Use "rclone help flags" for to see the global flags.
Dec 23 19:55:46 server rclone[20114]: Use "rclone help backends" for a list of supported services.
Dec 23 19:55:46 server rclone[20114]: Command mount needs 2 arguments maximum: you provided 12 non flag arguments: ["–config=/home/ubuntu/.config/rclon>
Dec 23 19:55:46 server systemd[1]: gdrive.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Dec 23 19:55:46 server systemd[1]: gdrive.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Dec 23 19:55:46 server systemd[1]: Failed to start RClone Mount Service.
lines 1-17/17 (END)

not sure the exact issue but i think we have enough info for others to comment.

: ["–config=/home/ubuntu/.config/rclone

I think the dashes are wrong. They should be two minus signs.

yes ive done that as u can see from the screenshot in my last post

After making changes to a service file, you have to reload it.

systemctl daemon-reload

still same thing

Screenshots are really, really hard to read what's going on.

You'd want to post your updated service file as text and enclosed in a code block.

A code block means you have three backtics ` before and after something and it'll create a block

this

You still have some single dashes in there so the service file is not right.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.