Rclone backup to Google Drive

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am uploading/backing up my movie collection. Most of my files are 20gb+, with some media reaching almost 100gb per file. I am currently running a very basic command and want to know if I should add any flags to my upload command to optimize for all my large files.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

yes

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

///
rclone copy d:\amazon_rclone GDrive:amazon_rclone -P
///

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

hello and welcome to the forum,

--- might try to tweak --transfers and --checkers
tho if only uploading large files, not sure it will make much of a difference.

--- make sure to create a client id/secret for the remote.

--- keep in mind that you can only upload 750GiB per day.
might try
---drive-stop-on-upload-limit
or
--bwlimit

Thanks for the reply,

Can you elaborate on creating client id / secret? I believe when I setup the config I just hit enter ( nothing entered ). What will this do for uploads?

And yes, pretty much all my files are over 20gb+, what value would you recommend for --checkers? Im only on a 25mbps upload pipe, and im getting a steady 3 meg / sec upload speed, which is essentially saturating my upload but thats ok.

Thanks!

https://rclone.org/drive/#making-your-own-client-id

with the large file sizes and that slow saturated pipe, no amount of tweaking will make a practical difference.
so your original command is fine.

Thank you for all you help and quick replies!

I have just 1 or 2 questions. I wanted to try the --checkers command out because I am going to play around with rclone at work where I have a 1gig upload pipe, I also wanted to implement the --checksum command or -c because the integrity of the data is important to me. Once I upload it, Im deleting some of the data for some room. My question is, does it matter where some of these flags go? It seems some work when putting them right after the rclone command, and others it seems only work at the very end. Anyway, bearing in mind the checkers and checksum commands, this is what I used, and rclone seemed to accept the command but I want to make sure the checksum and checkers command are working, this is what I used to test;

rclone -c copy d:\4K4U dropbox:4K4U_movie_remuxes -P --checkers=8

try using debug output by adding -vv and you see that rclone does with checksums.

i always use
rclone command source dest flags

that applies to most rcloners, myself included.

that is a flag, not a command.
i have never used it for local to cloud

after the files are copied, as an additional check, run
rclone check

If I simply use the rclone copy command, delete files on the source but not the remote, then run rclone copy again when the folder im using fills up and use the same path on the remote, will rclone see the old files are not on the source anymore and delete them off the remote?

rclone copy never deletes files on the source. rclone sync would so don't use it if you don't want files deleted on the source.

maybe i am misreading that but
rclone sync does not delete files in the source

That should say

rclone copy never deletes files on the destination. rclone sync would so