Rclone 4k REMUX buffering

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I have 4k Remux Files on Dropbox and i have the issue that it not buffer enough when i do direct stream. If i do hardware transcoding, then there is no issue, it preloads very fine. So it not depends on the speed, i think that Plex doesn't take enough buffer.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.62.2

• os/version: ubuntu 22.04 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 6.1.0-1007-oem (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.20.2
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Dropbox

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

[Unit]
Description=RClone Service Dropbox Movies
Wants=network-online.target
After=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=notify
Environment=RCLONE_CONFIG=/home/plex/.config/rclone/rclone.conf
RestartSec=5
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount dropbox: /media/mount/dropbox \
# This is for allowing users other than the user running rclone access to the mount
--allow-other \
# Dropbox is a polling remote so this value can be set very high and any changes are detected via polling.
--dir-cache-time 9999h \
# Log file location
--log-file /media/mount/rclone.log \
# Set the log level
--log-level INFO \
# This is setting the file permission on the mount to user and group have the same access and other can read
--umask 002 \
# This sets up the remote control daemon so you can issue rc commands locally
--rc \
# This is the default port it runs on
--rc-addr 127.0.0.1:5574 \
# no-auth is used as no one else uses my server and it is not a shared seedbox
--rc-no-auth \
# The local disk used for caching
--cache-dir=/media/mount/cache \

--vfs-cache-mode full \
# This limits the cache size to the value below
--vfs-cache-max-size 600G \
# Speed up the reading: Use fast (less accurate) fingerprints for change detection
--vfs-fast-fingerprint \
# Set chunk size
--vfs-read-chunk-size 32M \
# Wait before uploading
--vfs-write-back 1h \
# This limits the age in the cache if the size is reached and it removes the oldest files first
--vfs-cache-max-age 9999h \
# Disable HTTP2
--disable-http2 \
# Set the tpslimit
--tpslimit 12 \
# Set the tpslimit-burst
--tpslimit-burst 0

ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -uz /media/mount/dropbox
ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/rclone rc vfs/refresh recursive=true --url 127.0.0.1:5574 _async=true
Restart=on-failure
User=plex
Group=plex

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[dropbox]
type = crypt
remote = dropboxc:MyFiles
password = ****
password2 = *****

[dropboxc]
type = dropbox
token = {"access_token":"

A log from the command with the -vv flag

If someone want to see logs, i will provide. But i dont think that it is a issue from downloading. 
Server has 1 Gbps Uplink.
Intel Alderlake i5-13500
NVME Disks

Since nobody else has replied yet, I'm gonna start by asking if you meant direct play, not stream. When something direct plays, there is no buffer involved on Plex's end. What is your playback device?

1 Like

Hi, yes i mean direct stream. I tried on multiple devices, windows app, newest smart tv generation. Always same issue.
Is there a way to make a buffer for that content when direct stream?

Generally, if you are direct streaming and you are using vfs-cache, that's all rclone can do as you are most likely dealing with a client buffer / local networking type issue.

You can't control the buffer on Plex clients minus the actual installed plex app on Windows/Mac.

I'd imagine you are using some TV device and/or your plex server/client are in different spots. Basically, you can't tune around this as you are hitting some network latency between Plex Server and your Plex Client.

Hi, yes, you see I'm using VFS Cache. But it does not cache enough. There should be a solution to cache more of each file locally. Like I said, when transcoding from the cloud it works perfect, but just not on direct stream. It's not fast enough downloading/buffering.

That's most likely wrong.

Right, it is a smaller bitrate because you are transcoding it.

If you share a debug log when you have the issue, I'll be with 99.9999999% assurance, it's all reading from disk so that takes the cloud of the mix and it's plex server to plex client.

INFO or DEBUG log you like to see?

What is if I disable VFS-Cache for these contents, that might work or no?

Debug as that's why we ask for in the help template and it's easier to collect all the info up front.

Disabling the cache means you can get latency from the cloud remote -> rclone -> plex as the point of the cache is to remove that from equation. If you are having peering issues, it would make it much worse.

Just to be sure, you are direct streaming, as in the video is being passed through, but the audio is getting transcoded? In my experience, nothing other than direct playing 4K REMUX files will give you problem-free playback. And even then, you'll want a device that can handle it all, and there is still really only the Shield at this point (sadly).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.