Rclone 1.55.1-DEV getting killed

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Receiving killed messages like:
/bin/bash: line 3: 71 Killed rclone sync my-s3:my-bucket/somedir /somedir --no-check-certificate --log-level DEBUG

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.55.1-DEV

• os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.15.5
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using?

Dell ECS

The command you were trying to run

This is a sidecar container in K8s that keeps sync the Pod with an S3 bucket

while true; do
  rclone sync my-s3:my-bucket/somedir /somedir --no-check-certificate --log-level DEBUG
  sleep 60
done

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[my-s3]
type = s3
provider = Other
access_key_id = accessKey
secret_access_key = secretKey
region = us-east-1
endpoint = mystorage.xyz.com

A log from the command with the -vv flag

2022/10/28 16:11:13 DEBUG : Using config file from "/root/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2022/10/28 16:11:13 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.55.1-DEV" starting with parameters ["rclone" "sync" "my-s3:my-bucket/somedir" "/somedir" "--no-check-certificate" "--log-level" "DEBUG"]
2022/10/28 16:11:13 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "my-s3:my-bucket/somedir"
2022/10/28 16:11:13 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "/somedir"
/bin/bash: line 3:    71 Killed                  rclone sync my-s3:my-bucket/somedir /somedir --no-check-certificate --log-level DEBUG

Killed means your user/root killed the running process.

Not sure you'd be able to find that in any log since it was killed which looks like a kill command or something I'd guess.

I'd also upgrade as that's some odd DEV version and use the proper stable.

That won't change this item though.

Not sure if this is a Docker/Kubernetes thing. I deployed a Pod with rclone installed. Ran rclone copy and sync from inside and immediately get the Killed message output.

apiVersion: v1
kind: Pod
metadata:
  name: rclone
  namespace: test-rclone
spec:
  volumes:
  - name: config
    configMap:
      name: rclone-config
      defaultMode: 420
  - name: subdir
    emptyDir: {}
  containers:
  - name: rclone
    image: myrepo/rclone:0.0.1
    command: [ "/bin/bash", "-c", "--" ]
    args: [ "while true; do sleep 30; done;" ]
    volumeMounts:
    - name: config
      mountPath: /root/.config/rclone
    - name: subdir
      mountPath: /subdir
[root@rclone /]# rclone sync my-s3:my-bucket/somedir /somedir --no-check-certificate --log-level DEBUG
Killed
[root@rclone /]# rclone sync my-s3:my-bucket/somedir /somedir --no-check-certificate --log-level DEBUG
Killed
[root@rclone /]#

I think I've figured this one out. I was using a pretty old/stale image as the base Docker image. I used a newer/updated version of the image and I do not see this issue at least for the last few minutes. Previously I was hitting the issue in around 5-10 minutes (most of the times almost immediately). I believe I should keep this thread open for at least a day.

Killed most likely means it ran out of memory and was killed by cgroups. Can you check for that in the logs?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.