Questions on my sync stategy

Hello. I am new to rclone but I am loving it so far.

My version info is:
rclone v1.56.0-DEV
go/version go1.17

I have an OpenBSD server that I want to use as a "middleman" for syncing data between my Dropbox account and Backblaze B2.

Dropbox should be considered the "master" source and B2 should get data from it (i.e., mirror what Dropbox has). B2 should never alter data on Dropbox.

So I initiate the following command:

rclone sync dropbox:Projects b2:mybucket/Projects -P --transfers 8 --create-empty-src-dirs

and I see files start copying.

As I was watching the files get copied over, I noticed a directory with 8K text files that I meant to delete before I started the sync.

So while rclone was copying those files, I went into Dropbox and deleted them. I did this on purpose because I wanted to see how rclone handled that.

This may sound counter-productive but keep in mind, I will be deleting data from Dropbox all the time.

I then noticed rclone reporting a lot of errors which makes sense. But after a couple thousand errors, it aborted the process and said it would wait 300 seconds.

My questions are:

1. Is my command a good fit for what I want to do?

2. Would I simply schedule this command in a cron job to keep the files in sync?

FYI, the reason I am doing this is because OpenBSD doesn't have native support for Dropbox and Backblaze (which I use both).

Dropbox is where I store my data and Backblaze is where I make an additional backup.

Thanks for any pointers!

hello and welcome to the forum,

that command looks good.
tho if you want to know what rclone is doing, use a log file

another option is for a forever forward incremental backup using a command like this

rclone sync dropbox:Projects b2:mybucket/Projects/full --backup-dir=b2:mybucket/Projects/incrementals/`date +%Y%m%d` -P --transfers 8 --create-empty-src-dirs --dry-run  --log-level=DEBUG --log-file=/home/user01/rclone/logs/projects/rclone-`date +%Y%m%d`.log

This is almost certainly dropbox rate limiting and nothing to do with you deleting files. Post the errors if you want us to decode them!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.