Questions on Dropbox Advanced plan

As many, I guess, I'm investigating options now that Google has unilaterally decided to treat all paying customers the same, no matter whether they've been paying for multiple users for years and years or if they have stored petabytes of information through a single account.

I see Dropbox Advanced plan as a possible solution, but I wonder what exactly the "As much space as needed, once purchased" formulation means. Especially when compared to the Enterprise plan, which just states "As much space as needed". Does anyone know?

Also, has anybody tried contacting Dropbox to inquire on Enterprise plan pricing? I wonder if, in virtue of being selected by far fewer people it could be more future-proof. Which was my reasoning for all these years in trying to abide as seriously as possible to Google's requirements on multiple users... so maybe it won't make a dime of a difference.

Lastly, but probably most important, is there a how to guide on how to set up a virtual machine in the cloud to efficiently copy content from Drive to Dropbox, with encryption?

Bonus question: if one wants to share a portion of what's on their encrypted cloud disk but not everything... is that doable through rclone? Can one run two instances with two different encryption keys? One to share with the team and one to keep for themselves?

are you using rclone crypt now on Google?

No. No encryption for our team on Drive. But we have share disabled outside the organization. Another thing I hoped would contribute to our good standing...

In such case if you do not have sensitive data I would not advocate adding extra rclone layer.

Of course rclone can be useful to move all your data from google to dropbox. It seems it is very popular activity recently:) You will find plenty of info on this forum.

Hmmm... the majority of space taken is taken by stuff I am ok in other members of my team seeing.

There's private stuff that I want to keep that way, though.

And, as far as I've understood things, the team admin can access everything. This is different than with Google, where, yeah, you can assume ownership of a file to read it but it becomes a much more involved process, where the third party has a chance to notice it, etc.

Also, while I appreciate anyone chiming in with help, I would suggest staying on my questions. I am not interested in alternatives, right now. I am interested in understanding the answers to my question.

It's like if I was asking "How can I compress music to FLAC using FFMPEG?" and somebody answered "I suggest compressing to WAVPACK using foobar2000". It's not wrong, per se, it simply isn't an answer to the question... :slight_smile:

The forum certainly is full of discussions about doing this. But I did not see any clear "how to do this". It's like everybody implies that one knows how to rent a virtual machine, which one is best to rent, how to set up it, etc.

I did not even find any pointers to where one could read correct information about this.

Yes and no. You can connect "as" somebody else to see their files, but if you do that, the member in question will be notified.

1 Like

You can request more storage once you near your quota.

Not rclone related, it goes beyond this software per se. There's a plenty of guides on how to set up a VM and install rclone via SSH and set it up to transfer data between cloud storages.

You can set up a WebDAV or HTTP server and share it with someone while not having to share encryption keys.

You can't use different encryption keys for the exact same data. In that case you would need to have 2 seperate copies encrypted with different encryption keys.

You can also see upload activity of all users within an organization which reveals the name of their files. This already gives the administrator a hint of what's being uploaded.

1 Like

Ok, this is good. Thanks.

Yes, I was aware of this but still it doesn't explain the wording Dropbox chose. I mean, English is not my native language but what's the need for "once purchased"? Everything is once purchased, isn't it? Or do they mean that "as much as you need" doesn't apply during the free trial? Maybe it's that.

Sorry, my bad. I did not mean for the exact same data. I meant for different data.

Say I want to create a mount, fully encrypted, that includes directories A, B, C and D.

But then I'd like to create a different mount, fully encrypted, which includes directories F, G, H and I. For this second set of directories I would share the encryption key with the team.

I have never tried in Google Drive, where I suppose one would need to have two different API keys to do this. I suppose the same would be true for Dropbox. But maybe it's impossible and that is that. I clarified because you mentioned "the exact same data", which was exactly the opposite of what I meant. :slight_smile:

Yes, this is true in Google Drive as well.

Hoping in here, that is correct, the trial you are limited, and they will NOT give you anymore storage unless you pay.

You can manage share settings through Dropbox. You don't have to do at encryption level with rclone.

Sure but... ok, let's say I have a team of three people.

These three people share stuff among each other.

The team wants everything to be encrypted because they prefer Dropbox not snooping around.

Using three different API keys from Dropbox (I assume the process is similar to Google Drive's) they each create a remote using the same encryption. On these three remotes they put stuff they they want to share with the rest of the team and grant access to the other team members through Dropbox settings.

In this case, when connecting to Dropbox would each team member see both their content and the rest of the team's (since everything uses the same encryption key)?

But we have the problem of Admins potentially being able to see stuff from all users (even though this would alert them). This is why I am wondering if, using a different API key, a user could be able to create a second remote, that would remain accessible only to them.

I hope I have been able to properly explain what I have in mind. Sorry for any confusion.

Recommend encrypting, a friend of a friend who did not encrypt got his Dropbox Advanced Team account closed after 1 year of being a loyal paying customer. When he contacted support they said they had discovered 20,000+ copyright violations, thus his account was banned.

My friend who encrypts, had no issue.

Yup, encrypting is a must. I'm just wondering whether it's possible to have two remotes, with two different encryption keys, on a single Dropbox account. I don't know if and how rclone could handle that.

I tried to explain as best as I could...

You can have as many rclone remotes as you want - they can all share the same credentials or have different e.g:

[dropbox]
type = dropbox
token = {"access_token":...}

[pictures]
type = crypt
remote = dropbox:path/to/myPicturesFolder
password = password

[picturesOther]
type = crypt
remote = dropbox:path/to/myOtherPicturesFolder
password = password1

[docs]
type = crypt
remote = dropbox:path/to/myDocsFolder
password = password1

This is great! Thank you so much for answering my question. It works exactly as I hoped it could.

Really, thank you!