Questions about crypt on B2 and Duplicati

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Hi! New rclone user :slight_smile:

Would like to ask two questions about crypt, to start:

1. Actually i have Duplicati on my NAS that does backups in 2 folders in a bucket.
    If i setup crypt to encrypt the entire bucket, will Duplicati continue to work fine or the bucket will be automatically encrypted and it will stop working? I suppose the answer is yes but best to be sure.

2. Is it ok to encypt and entire bucket instead of a sigle directory in that bucket?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.53.3

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

windows/amd64

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

B2

Thanks in advance for your support!

hello and welcome to the forum,

what is the destination of duplicati, a bucket setup by duplicati or a rclone mount?

The backups go in 2 folders that are in the bucket i would like to encrypt.

Not sure what means "rclone mount". What i did was to create the 2 directories in the bucket and point rclone to them.

the only way to get a bucket crypted is to use rclone to do the copying.
as rclone, on the fly, transparently, encrypts/decrypts the files, during the copy operation.

i thought that duplicati already encrypts its own backup files?

1 Like

Added more details in my previous reply.

Yes Duplicati is setup to automatically encrypt the backups.

So it will continue to work as intended and the crypt/decrypt will happens only on demand?

the only files that should go into a rclone crypt are files that rclone itself copies there.

1 Like

Ok, i read:

A crypt remote can store it’s data in just a folder somewhere in the underlying remote, or it can use the entirety of it. You should configure a special folder to store the encrypted data in, because rclone will have problems dealing with the contents of a remote that has both encrypted and unencrypted data.

That's why i was asking. So this is still valid? In the bucket i was thinking to crypt i think i would add also unencrypted stuff.

the same bucket can have both crypted and non-crypted files. but keep them in separate folders.
but i would not do that, i would use two buckets.

1 Like

Well actually i have only Duplicati that's encrypted before uploading so i did not want to use a bucket only for that.

not sure i understand.

use two buckets

1. duplicati
  2. rclone crypted remote

I mean that it seemed a "waste" to use a bucket only for 2 backup folders of Duplicati, that's all.

as buckets do not cost anything, it is not a waste.

Ok so, why you would not do that? What could happen?

it can lead to unintended consequences, with configuration mistakes and bugs with either program.

given that you are using b2 for backup, why take chances, given that creating a bucket has no financial cost.

if you want to share one bucket, good luck

Yup, just created a separated bucket for Duplicati.
Thank you!

sure, always good to be a bit paranoid and just assume, that i will make mistake.

So the encrypted files will be visible only if i'm running rclone with my config. There is any change to decrypt them on other devices also? For example with the official Backblaze application for android. But i don't think so.

the only way to decrypt the files is which rclone.

there are many ways to access those crypted files.
you can use rclone mount to make the bucket appear as local storage.
so on windows explorer, you could see that bucket as the x: drive.
or point a video player or plex, to that x: drive, and play media files in that bucket.

you can run rclone on many devices including android. and access those crypted files.

1 Like

Another question that came to my mind:

I noticed since i started using b2 and command line that what i do via command line with both b2 official tool and rclone is not instantly displayed in my cloud if i surf it online with the browser. Do you know the reason of this delay?

i do not know for sure,

as for the b2 official tool, never used it.

as for rclone, what is the command you are running?