Question work directly on cloud

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I want work on gdrive directly.
I want to work directly on Google drive and I see if I load an archive and I work on it example database, the file download and after upload again, can I work directly without download and upload? I mount with vfs cache writes if I don't put cache didn't allow me edit and work.
Of I work with a file with 2Gb size... Download and upload takes many time.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Last version rclone

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Linux and Windows

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Gdrive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

Based on what's in the debug log file, that would tell you if you need to download / upload it.

Sounds like if you needed writes, it's because you are seeking in a file, which is also in the debug log file.

Short answer, if you want to provide a debug log, the answer is in there.

Ok I prepare a log, but I know the file is download and upload because internet traffic is high and is I dismount the rclone drive the changes are not aplicated on the file.

Great, so you already got your answer. Let me know if you need anything else.

:slight_smile: :joy: but... There were some way to edit files directly on cloud? With normal files KB no problem but with files 2 ... Or 6 GB... Is problem for me

Lot of thanks

(I know the file is downloading when I edit, because on the cache folder is this file and the size increases..)

You’d have to provide a debug log to help answer that.

Here the log.

Use this to mount:
rclone mount prueba:/ G: -vv --log-file="C:\rclone\log.txt" --allow-other --fast-list --tpslimit=7 --buffer-size=128M --cache-dir="C:\rclone\rclonecache" --dir-cache-time=48h --vfs-read-chunk-size=64M --vfs-cache-mode=writes --config "c:\rclone\config.conf"

I have a file archivotxtprueba.txt"
And if I do this: >echo hola2 >> G:\000pruebas\archivotxtprueba.txt

on folder "C:\rclone\rclonecache" the file start downloading, and later uploading, as I tell on past posts.

Here the log.
log.txt (204.4 KB)

hello,

these flags do not work on windows, as per the docs
--allow-other
--fast-list

That's an old version of rclone so you'd want to update that.

That's why we ask for the output rather than saying 'latest'.

"--vfs-cache-mode=writes

--fast-list does nothing on a mount so you can remove it.

If you have writes on, it's going to write locally for every write and upload.

You'd want to try without writes and share that log as that would say why you need a particular mode on.

Ok, thanks Copy and paste from other sencente and didnt erase it.

Certain, Excuse me :(, I have two folder and on this the version is old. I have update it

Attach the log, without cache cant edit...log.txt (10.0 KB)

That's telling you can't seek in a file without writes in cache mode:

2021/04/16 18:42:22 ERROR : 000pruebas/archivotxtprueba.txt: WriteFileHandle.Write: can't seek in file without --vfs-cache-mode >= writes

Which if you are trying to use a text editor makes sense.

An text editor is an example for this post, I cant do anything, If I open an access database I have same problem.
If I edit this txt file with notepad ++ I cant save it, onlyk can create other file
I cant edit a png or jpg or gif with photoshop......

Thanks.

try running the rclone mount command as system user or mount to a folder, not a drive.

also try --vfs-cache-mode=full

it is documented here
https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/#mounting-modes-on-windows
https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/#windows-caveats
https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/#vfs-file-caching

If you need to 'seek' a file, which will be shown in the debug log, there is no other way than using some cache mode to make the change and re-upload it. Rclone doesn't do bit level changes on the remotes which is basically what you are asking for.

In the OP, he asked not to upload/download if possible, which was why he didn't want to use a cache mode.

agreed, but now the OP wants

that is a windows issue, not a rclone issue.

and running a database on gdrive is going to need full if it works at all.

It depends. Running read-only copies of things would most likely work without issue.

The logs show why something is needed as it depends on the way the file is opened for read/write as it is not always a direct answer, which is why the logs have those details.

Full will download all file. I have test it

• need to see the debug log?
  • where did the file download to?
  • what is the filename of the file that was downloaded?
  • how do you know that the entire file has been download?

note: rclone should use sparse files, downloading only a chunk at a time.
make sure you are using v1.55.0, as the older version does not use spare files.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.