Proxmox + Rclone + Plex LXC

Need help on a new setup that im making...

I'm using a proxmox server to host all my homelab services...

I managed to install/configure rclone with my Google Drive account on the proxmox host, and managed to create a plex server CT and mount the rclone share as well.

The problem is that the plex server user cannot see the files of that share... root user of the CT have write/read rights on the share, but the plex user have no rights... how can solve this?... any one is using a similar setup?

hello and welcome to the forum,

try adding --allow-other to the mount command.

if that does not work, when you posted, there was a template of questions that need to be answered so we can help you.

Rclone is working correctly... the problem is mounting the rclone share over proxmox to a plex CT.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)
v1.55.1

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)
Proxmox 6.4.4
PlexMediaServer 1.22.3.4392 on a Debian 10 LXC

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)
Google Drive

rclone mount script:
--user-agent xxxxxxxxx
--allow-other
--dir-cache-time 48h
--vfs-cache-mode full
--vfs-read-chunk-size 64M
--vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 1G
--buffer-size 128M
--timeout 1h
--umask 002
--tpslimit 10
--use-mmap
--tpslimit 10
--cache-db-purge \

no config file was posted, so i cannot be sure, but for gdrive, that flag does nothing.

what is a CT?

you are trying to share a rclone mount?

LXC = CT on Proxmox

No one uses Proxmox?

Out of ideas to fix this...

on the promox, are you able to share a local folder and have the plex CT see it?

Yes, plex CT have the rclone shared mapped, and the root user can see/write on that mount point without problems... the problem is that PLEX create and use a plex user... and the truth is that i prefer to run plex without root access.

seems like a permissions issue question for the promox forum?

Still no luck on this one...

so the promox forum was not able to help with a user permissions issue?

No luck on there either.

Are you using a unprivileged container? Might be some quirks because of the id mapping going on.
If you are, you could try to run Rclone with the UID from inside the CT. If the UID inside the CT is 200, by default the UID on the host would be 100200.

Personally I have a similar setup, but I went against Proxmox recommendations and run Rclone inside the CT.

If you haven't seen the reason to avoid doing that, here's the quote:

Because of existing issues in the Linux kernel’s freezer subsystem the usage of FUSE mounts inside a container is strongly advised against, as containers need to be frozen for suspend or snapshot mode backups.

For my use I don't care for suspends or snapshots for this particular container, so to make it easier on myself I went down that road (but to be fair I ended up having to do permission trickery for GPU hardware decoding anyway, but still).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.