Problem with fuse while mounting

I can’t mount a gdrive encrypted folder in my system. This is the problem itself:

meiden@ns324457:~$ rclone mount --allow-other encrypted: /home/meiden/downloads/manual/gdrive &
meiden@ns324457:~$ 2017/03/29 12:48:51 mount helper error: fusermount: failed to open /etc/mtab: Permission denied
2017/03/29 12:48:51 mount helper error: fusermount: failed to access mountpoint /home/meiden/downloads/manual/gdrive: Transport endpoint is not connected
2017/03/29 12:48:51 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: fusermount: exit status 1

Any help?

Well. This is the problem:

fusermount: failed to open /etc/mtab

typically mtab has read permission to everyone. If you have root ‘chmod 644 /etc/mtab’

Forbidden operation it says. :confused:

Then you don’t have root access?

Yes I do. It is forbidden anyway.

meiden@ns324457:~$ sudo su
root@ns324457:/home/meiden# chmod 644 /etc/mtab
chmod: cambiando los permisos de «/etc/mtab»: Operación no permitida

Is it immutable?

lsattr /etc/mtab
ls -l /etc/mtab

What OS/distribution is this?

It says in spanish: forbidden operation.

It’s Debian Jessie.

meiden@ns324457:~$ sudo lsattr /etc/mtab
lsattr: La operación no está soportada Mientras se leían las banderas en /etc/mtab
meiden@ns324457:~$ sudo ls -l /etc/mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 sep 1 2015 /etc/mtab -> /proc/mounts

I can’t change permissions to /proc/mounts either.

is root readonly? Check output of ‘mount’

/dev/xxxx on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro)

and run this:

lsattr /proc/mounts

Sorry I don’t understand the first thing. What should I type?

Just the command:
mount

/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)

meiden@ns324457:~$ lsattr /proc/mounts
lsattr: La operación no está soportada Mientras se leían las banderas en /proc/mounts
meiden@ns324457:~$ sudo lsattr /proc/mounts
lsattr: La operación no está soportada Mientras se leían las banderas en /proc/mounts

Same thing.

Very wierd. Its almost like you don’t really have root or there is an ACL preventing access. Is this your box? or a VPS?

OVH kimsufi dedicated server. I’ve never have any other problem like this. rtorrent + openvpn + webdav, and so on.

You may want to check with your provider. Looks like ACLs.

I don’t think so. Other users reported rclone works perfectly over OVH dedicated servers.

Thank you for your help mate!!

It works anyway even showing the same error :confused:

https://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?5616-Standard-Kernels-with-Ubuntu-Debian There are lots of weird errors using older kernels, and ovh ships all their servers with kernel 3.x afaik.

You could look at that guide for more info on updating to latest stable kernel.

Beware: If you fuck up, then you fuck up big, therefore i recommend making backups before =)

Nice one Lillecarl, thank you for the precious information :floppy_disk: