Possible performance regression on old Raspberry Pi

Hi, I recently upgraded rclone on my 2012 Raspberry Pi B and I noticed that I'm getting half the performance pretty much across the board. This is some very old hardware, with 512MB of RAM, so I completely understand if there is no intention to optimize for it anymore. I just wanted to know if it's a known issue, if some buffer defaults have changed that I can revert back, etc.

I get around 800K/s upload on v1.40 with 40% RAM usage and 400K/s and 90% RAM usage on v1.54.

Thanks

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

rclone v1.40 (go version: go1.10) is about twice as fast (in kBytes/s) as rclone v1.54.1 (go version: go1.15.8) and uses half as much RAM. The binary itself is also twice as large (16MB vs 32MB).

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Raspbian GNU/Linux 8.0 (jessie)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone copy -vvv /mnt/drive4/Backup/ Google:Backup/

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[Google]

type = drive

client_id =

client_secret =

scope = drive

root_folder_id =

service_account_file =

token =…

1.40 is very old in rclone years!

Is it possible it is swapping now? That would kill the performance.

That matters less than you might think as only the bits of the binary you use will get loaded in.

If you want to use less RAM try the --use-mmap flag and also the --buffers flag.

You might want to experiment with reducing --transfers and --checkers also.

If you are uploading big files, enlarging this value makes a lot of difference -this will use more RAM though.

--drive-chunk-size SizeSuffix       Upload chunk size. Must a power of 2 >= 256k. (default 8M)

Thanks Nick. It is swapping for sure.

Off the top of your head, do you know if any of the default values in those flags have changed from 1.4 to 1.54? I just want to replicate the previous performance I had. I upgraded cause I was missing the progress flag that was added to “copy” recently.

None of those flags defaults have changed.

Did reducing those flags help?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.