Plex/rclone using lots of download

Plex is making rclone use too much unnecessary download bandwidth.

There are usually 2 instances of rclone running on my machine. The read-only mount (config below) for Plex and the upload script triggered every hour to only upload the files.

Combined, in about 1 month rclone used 4.1 TB of download and 4.8 TB of upload. This means that most of the files uploaded to the drive is being read by Plex from the mount. Actually used bandwidth for playbacks are less than 500 GB.

This happens at random times, rclone just sarts using 100% of download bandwidth available when there is no active playback nor scan. Rclone also won't output anything with a INFO level.

All analysis and generate video preview thumbnails have been always turned off. Screenshots below.

The thing is, the whole library is huge and when there is no new content added, rclone won't go crazy on download. It only does when I add new content. Is this a thing I've never noticed where Plex needs to read almost the whole new content that has been added? Am I missing anything?

RCLONE CONFIG

rclone mount crypt: V: --allow-other --read-only --allow-non-empty --log-level INFO --attr-timeout 1000h --buffer-size 32M --dir-cache-time 1000h --poll-interval 15s --timeout 1h --tpslimit 10 --tpslimit-burst 10 --rc --rc-addr 127.0.0.1:5572 --fast-list --log-level INFO

with a rclone rc vfs/refresh recursive=true ran every 24h

PLEX CONFIG

Other info
rclone v1.50.2
Plex Server Version 1.18.3.2156
Windows Server 2019
Google Drive

Are you using any other applications? Sonarr / Radarr? Is it virus scanning or something else reading the files?

You can run rclone in debug to see what files are being accessed, but that's not going to tell you what is doing it.

No other apps. When it goes crazy, if I close PMS, it stops.

I've tried running DEBUG but (about) 24hrs of logs made a 3 GB file. Not sure how to open nor how/what to search for.

What can I do in real time on the remote control to do some debugging ?

Just ran the rc command to change log level to debug and saw that in fact PLEX is reading whole files.
It was reading a whole movie I added about a month ago, so it's not new content.

I just can't figure out why.

Sounds like you have analysis on or you have someone syncing.

No one is syncing because no upload is being used.

Analysis IS OFF but it looks like it still does it. How ? What can I do ?

Interesting thing I've noticed was that only movies where I have multiple versions (3) of are being "analyzed".

Interesting thing I've noticed was that only movies where I have multiple versions (3) of are being "analyzed".

When a Plex app goes to play the collapsed item, it will automatically request and play the most suitable item by default.

Note : This feature is not intended for situations where you might have, for instance, both a “theatrical” and “director’s cut” version of a movie. Likewise, it is not appropriate for 2D vs 3D versions. Those situations are best handled by Splitting the movie into separate library items.

So apparently it will automatically do an analysis to determine which versions is best for which devices...without an option to disable.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.