Plex on Windows 10 with GSuite and free Google Fiber (1up/5down) rclone and GFS

I know this isn't the ideal setup, but I can't really afford much more, and it almost works. The problem is when playing a video I recorded with Playon (mp4) from Gsuite on GFS I can't get it to cache enough so that it will play smoothly for more than a few minutes. I tried Rclone, but got the same behavior. I am not sure I got the config for rclone right. (mount --allow-other --dir-cache-time 72h --drive-chunk-size 64M --log-level INFO --vfs-read-chunk-size 32M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off gdrive: X: --config "C:\Users\Matt.config\rclone\rclone.conf" --vfs-cache-mode writes)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

hello and welcome to the forum,

  1. what is your up and down speeds? you wrote 1up/5down, not sure what that mean?
    up:1Mbps
    down:5Mbps

  2. what version of rclone are you using
    run this command rclone.exe --version

  3. have you read this?
    https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/#vfs-cache-mode-full

  4. perhaps you can lower the resolution of the recordings and thus need less bandwidth to view it.

Thanks asdffdsa,

Upload and download speeds are listed on the website as:
"Up to 5 Mbps download & 1 Mbps upload speeds"

C:\Program Files\rclone>rclone.exe --version
rclone v1.50.2

  • os/arch: windows/amd64
  • go version: go1.13.4

I did look at https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/#vfs-cache-mode-full, but I got the impression that if i tried to watch a movie that was stored on the gdrive, it would have to cache the whole thing before i could start watching.

My next step is to look into lowering the video quality, but I was hoping not to have to do that. Right now my setup is using about 1.5G for about 1 hour of video.

Thanks again,

1.5GiB = 12885 Mbit
12885 Mbit/h / 60min/h / 60sec/min = 3.58 Mbit/s

So theoretically if you get more than 3.6 Mbit/s speed on average it should work.
But first you should make some speedtests to see what speed you actually get.
Then, Videos don't have a constant bitrate. So slow scenes will use less than 3.6 Mbit/s, but scenes with much action will use more (and this can be much more). Try to increase the buffering in your player so it buffers much more. I'd try to set the buffer to a few minutes and try that.

(Setting the buffer is not possible in all players, check this guide for VLC: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/change-vlc-streaming-buffer/ )

The theoretical average bandwidth of 3.6 Mbit/s is very close to the theoretical 5 Mbit/s you have and much more closer to the actual speed you will get probably. So it's possible it won't work.