Plex - Initial scan of new library

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Running initial scan on new Plex library causes "ERROR : IO error: open file failed: googleapi: Error 403: The download quota for this file has been exceeded., downloadQuotaExceeded"

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Latest beta as of 5-5-2021, v1.56.0-beta.5480.9ff6f48d7

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows Server 2016, 64-bit (I know, I know...)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount --attr-timeout 1000h --dir-cache-time 1000h --poll-interval 0 --rc --read-only -v Google_Drive_Crypt: G:

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[Google_Drive]
type = drive
client_id =
client_secret =
token =
root_folder_id =

[Google_Drive_Crypt]
type = crypt
remote = Google_Drive:crypt
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password =
password2 =

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Did not run with -vv

Never thought I'd create a post like this myself, but here I am :wink:

The last time I created a new library and ran the initial scan was back in late 2017, and I do not recall running into any issues. This is probably due to Google not having any API/quota limits at the time. Last night, I decided to make a new library for TV Shows. Media to be scanned in adds up to about 600 shows with roughly 22,000 episodes (144 TB).

I started the scan around 1 AM, and when I checked in the morning, only about 60 shows had been scanned in by Plex. Not only that, but also most of the media files had not been analyzed, because of the "download quota exceeded" error. I can't be sure as to when I hit the limit, exactly, but it sure didn't go very far. Anyway, I expected as much before I started all this.

I'm really only posting this here to see if there is anyone who recently ran an initial scan on a fairly large library without running into any issues. I have everything disabled in Plex that could cause extra API/quota strain, so my guess is that the initial media analysis is causing the temporary ban.

I usually give advice on Plex, but in this case I'm wondering if there is anything I could do to improve the initial scanning experience. In retrospect, I should not have attempted to scan in the entire library at once, but rather do each letter separately. Too late for that :stuck_out_tongue:

Any and all input appreciated...

Haven't tried it myself yet but --fast-list Documentation may help

Thanks for the input, but --fast-list doesn't do anything for a mount. I should have mentioned that my mount is primed, which in this case also doesn't make much of a difference. Cache is not an option due to space constraints.

Another thing you can try is to use the Plex Media Scanner to scan only certain folders and files. I had the same type of issues and would start the scan see when at what point the rate limit was reached and the next day start scanning at an earlier time so the api limit would reset during the scan. Just some ideas from my experience.

Yeah, I should not have tried to scan it in all at once, but ideally I'd like to avoid hitting the limit altogether. Now I have to wait until I can do anything, because all of my files are inaccessible, not just the ones scanned :frowning:

I did a full Emby scan ~1-2 months back on about 140TB over 2ish days and had no issues. Have not done Plex scan in a long time but I'd think they are comparable.

Did you just use your standard mount, or did you try to slow things down a bit? I cannot imagine Emby, Kodi, and Plex to be very different, but perhaps they are when it comes to analyzing the files.

I'm starting to think this might have something to do with the new Plex TV Series scanner. Would love to hear some more input, but if I don't by the time I get unbanned, I think I'll start over and use the legacy scanner and agent.

Just my same mount that I've always used.

The intro scanner (in theory) is only supposed to scan the first x minutes (10?) per TV show but that is a beefy one.

That one took me a few weeks to do when it was first introduced.

Oh, I'm not using the intro scanner at all. I've been reading on the Plex forum that the new series scanner/agent might still have some issues where it continually scans everything over and over. That's why I'm hoping that going back to the old one will be better, but who knows...

I don't even mind if the initial scan ends up taking a few days, as long as I don't get the ban hammer :slight_smile:

I am not using the new scanner as I'm using the TVDB one.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.