Plex 4K streaming (direct stream and direct play)

That goes back to what I was suggesting that the issue is probably the sustained bandwidth needed from your VPS to you that's the issue.

4K is a monster to stream if you can't control all the pieces along the way.

Exactly what Animosity said. If it's not working when playing from local media, it's clearly now a problem with rclone.

Hetzner is a budget service so sometimes a node might be congested, yet their Speedtest server will be in a dedicated node so you don't notice that. Installing Speedtest-cli is very straightforward and I recommend installing it and testing speeds toward your area and in particular your isp (if possible) to see what kind of speeds you are getting.

If you can't, you could try to see what speeds you get by uploading and downloading files directly from your server, 4k streams are not a joke if multiple networks are involved and you don't have pristine routing and thrughtput.

So i setup a dedicated server now and just copied the media locally to the server and it runs like a dream. Server is in Germany

I am floating around 200mbps on my internet today so it is still shoddy and not my typical 450mbps. I haven't ran the MTR test yet to see if the packet loss is still there

This has to conclude it be either the cloud VPS resources or something in the Hetzner network on there cloud side

MTR results show the packet loss has gone when talking from server to client

i am still getting loss from client to server but not as high as yesterday

Lastly to add.....

I went back on the VPS server and the issue is still there, although it is a million times better than it has been. i still can't play more than 5 minutes with direct play or direct stream

I can't image I've finally found someone with the same issue (and a recent post too)

I've rented a VPS on Hetzner as well and I've been tearing out all my hair over this.

I've tried changing ALL Plex's network settings (at one point I even thought "Internet upload speed" feature was a bug that a 0 value would limit at 11 Mbps and I would have to change it every day), innumerous rclone buffer configs, UFW rules, docker configs, at another point I thought docker was giving filesystem overhead conflicts with Plex's container so I even tried Plex on the host, Plex over Cloudflare CDN, over the VPS's VPN, over SSH Tunnel, I've tried EVERY. SINGLE. LITTLE. THING.

After countless hours of troubleshoot I just emailed Hetzner and they said there was no issue, even requesting MTR reports, which clearly didn't report any issue. My home connection is fast and stable (500Mbps download). VPS's internet connection is also PRETTY FAST. I was able to sustain a 5Gb/s transfer as well as the 500Mbps to my home. Everything works just fine until it comes down to Plex streams. A small 2 Gb movie I can basically skip all over it with a sustained 500 Mbps throughout all of it. But when I try to watch a 50 GB 4k Movie (~50 Mbps bitrate) it just throttles at 11 Mbps most of the time from the beginning, otherwise it just bursts to 500 Mbps for 1 second then throttles back down to 11 Mbps.

I can't find the issue and in my mind it doesn't make sense how the problem is on their side, because this only happens with high bitrate movies. Without this I can't point to them what to fix, and even if I did, I doubt they would fix it.

hello,

maybe Hetzner seedbox cannot handle 4k.
i use a seedbox, 4k no problems.

you have not supplied any information.
no command, no logs. no os, no info about rclone version, no config.

you should create a new post, and answer all the requested info.
the more info you share, the more we can help.....

I didn't find it relevant to post any logs, configs, versions. My config is somethign very close to Animosity022, rclone version 1.52.1 and logs don't show anything bad. The bottleneck really is in the Hetzner's workbalancer. Other VPS works fine with the exact same setup.

The problem is that 4k is not the only one giving me problems. All of my media above ~10 Mbps will buffer. I'll just switch from VPS provider. Any issues I'll make a new post and provide all the info :slight_smile:

@asdffdsa What seedbox are you using ?

Correction. Hetzner can handle it as long as you get a vps that is dedicated cores or even more a dedicated server

That was my solution. I swapped to a dedicated server and ever since it has ran like a dream and never given me an issue. With the dedicated server there is no requirement for rclone as you can store your media locally assuming you have enough storage. I use rclone as a cloud backup now for my configuration stuff like plex, radarr, sonarr and so on.....

A vps that does not have dedicated cores you will have trouble streaming 4k. This will most likely be true regardless of provider

https://www.seedboxco.net/viewarticle/?article=setup-rclone-with-google-drive-and-optionally-link-with-

i use the cheapest plan.

Can I see what you're using for your rclone config in your hetzner box? I've been messing around trying to figure out how I can push my limits with my setup with Hetzner. Thanks.

I don't use rclone per say to pull folders I have a script as a cron job that just copies things to a specific folder then just runs an rclone command to copy said folder to google. Simple yet fool proof

I don't have an actual rclone configuration setup anymore. I just have it installed and connected to Google drive

*Excuse my poor English I am replying on a phone

:slight_smile: its all good @KingJulian So you don't use rclone for streaming the movie from google to your plex server?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.