Peace of mind providers for sync?

In a now closed thread, which I should have responded to sooner, the following services were iDrive e2 S3 , Backblaze or Wasabi as an alternative to Google or Proton.

Best method to linux auto sync bidirectionally?

I had thought Backblaze are for backup use only rather than syncing files between a laptop and desktop, and I if this is the case for the 3 services if there are alternatives that balance budget with reliability for single user sync?

I am sure there are many opinions about it but three services you mentioned I would say that all are great for either sync or backup. Personally I go with iDrive but it is mostly because it is the cheapest:) I used B2 and Wasabi in the past - both are solid and can be trusted. All of them support industry standard S3 API which gives you countless options which tools to use.

If you do not mind tinkering and a bit more complex setup you can always consider Office Family 365 licence which gives you 6 x 1TB Onedrive accounts. You can combine some of them into bigger single drive using rclone union or rclone combine. Speed will be mediocre but otherwise works fine.

Google - it is ok (no more unlimited though). I am not sure about pricing. If your life is Google products centric it might be good option.

Proton - IMO stay away. It is very expensive (from storage cost point of view) and does not work with rclone well. Does not have official API so you can't use any 3rd party tools. In addition as I checked last time it is only hosted in one country. So speed will suffer if you live a bit further from Switzerland.

1 Like

Hello again! :slightly_smiling_face: I followed a guide for your rclonebrowser before.

I am very happy to choose the cheapest option within reason. After a dispute PayPal refunded a lifetime PCloud subscription due to very slow (non-rclone) transfer speeds, but despite this I nearly picked up a much cheaper Koofr lifetime sub as they do have great reviews, but there are so many warnings out there that lifetime cloud storage business models can only work for so long.

Very happy to tinker in the future after I get more experience, with Office Family 365 and/or some kind of Syncthing / Cloud Provider hybrid as you mentioned in the other thread, perhaps in the form of a sync version of the 3-2-1 backup strategy, but for now I just need to get my work syncing between computers.

I have several TBs of GDrive for free at the moment but I will lose access to it in the next few months and I would prefer to setup a longterm solution. I am in the EU and I already have Proton Drive included in my VPN deal so if and when they support rclone properly it would be worth exploring.

PrivacyGuides (PrivacyTools.io break-away) recommend Tresorit but at ā‚¬144 p/a I am open to alternatives.

I am surprised to learn Backblaze can be used for sync because when I looked at this in the past, possibly years ago, I had thought they even say somewhere on their website that they are a backup service, not a sync service, which I assumed they encourage with pricing - I have zero experience using ingress egress pricing.

The directory I want to sync is approximately 120 GiB, and ideally I would later setup some of kind of selective sync / multiple remotes, as some videos or VMs do not need to be on both computers, though I would still like them synced to the cloud (I understand Proxmox allows incremental/delta sync for VMs and it is on my future project list also). In terms of usage normally I am not using the VMs, and my daily usage is light, I take some notes, code a little, and store personal documents.

I see they also offer IDrive Mini 500GB for $9.99 but perhaps the capacity is not the only difference? Even if the same i would probably just pay the extra to have the space available, and perhaps to migrate Google Photos etc.

Am I understanding the ingress and egress policy for the $15/30 pa 1TB IDriveĀ® e2 plan, where ingress uploads are free, and I will only be charged per 1c per GB egress if I first download 3TB, and that allowance resets each month, so with my usage I would effectively pay only the list price?

Similarly like iDrive they have multiple services - pure storage is here: https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-storage

I have never exceeded monthly egress so not entirely sure how billing works then - but yes it resets every month. So with 1TB plan you can upload 3TB every month for free.

1 Like

The inotifywait guide I linked has a limitation on how many directories it can monitor, and v.1.66 of rclone with the new bisync updates you said were worth waiting for has now been released, so I am going with that option.

The bisync systemd guide has an argument for --drive-skip-gdocs in the command, which I am going to omit, but considering the use case I described and that I am using IDrive S3, are there any other edits or additions you recommend I make to this command:

rclone bisync "idrive-sync-crypt:sync/" "/home/saltysyncs/sync/" --check-access --fast-list --drive-skip-shortcuts --drive-acknowledge-abuse --drive-skip-dangling-shortcuts --verbose --resync

Edit: it also looks like fast-list is on by defaul for bisync.

If you are using iDrive S3 then flags:

--drive-skip-shortcuts
--drive-acknowledge-abuse
--drive-skip-dangling-shortcuts

do not make any sense... as they are google drive flags.

Make sure that you use --resync only once. This is not a flag to be used with every bisync and should be only use for the first bisync run

1 Like

Once I learned about no_bucket_check and server_side_encryption I was able to get a rclone encrypted remote syncing with the systemd timer service nicely.

Is there anything you use for visual feedback on your local desktop to confirm local files are in sync with the remote, perhaps a notification in your top panel or an icon in your file manager? This would be great to check on before turning off my computers.

I am experimenting with a gnome extension rclone manager which I have set to watch my remote but it may just allow quick access to logs.

I am not aware of any project providing rclone sync visual feedback. I use CMD only

https://rclone.org/docs/#progress-terminal-title

when rclone finishes, have your script copy an icon to the desktop.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.