Optimize rclone mount settings for music mount (plex use)

Hi all,

I am using Plex reliably for movies and tv shows for a while now, and VFS really helped in this matter to speedup the movies load times (and library scan duration).

But when it comes to music, I got to say that I still cant use Plex as a media player. Reason is the scan literally takes ages, and that files access times are too slow.

As I did not dig rclone for like a year, I was wondering is any advancement was made on this topic.
Do any of you guys successfully use a music player (Eg: Plex) with your music libraries mounted from your gdrive ?

If so, could you share your mount settings ?

So the goal here is really to optimise the file access times, and optimize the play of small files (mix between mp3 and flac files, 4tb each i'd say).

I hope some people here will be able to ehlp me optimize my settings !!! thank you very much !

ah and here is my current mount line :

rclone mount --verbose --umask 022 --allow-non-empty --dir-cache-time 96h --vfs-cache-max-age 48h --vfs-cache-mode writes --vfs-read-chunk-size 24M --poll-interval 5m --vfs-cache-poll-interval 5m --fast-list --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 1G --buffer-size 2G gcrypted: ~/media

Music and Plex kind of suck due to the way their access patterns are and it's a lot of small files.

The thing that seems to work well with music is the cache backend with a smaller chunk size to keep the files local for the repeated use that Plex does when scanning and when playing.

I don't use Music in Plex and I'm going by the other posts that I have read and offered that suggestion for other folks.

You can try to make a cache backend just for the music mount and test that out and see how that works out.

any topic I should read or ideas about which params to use to achieve this ? Or should I google for cache backend ?

can someone share his mount settings if s/he managed to get this to work ?

I would just create another mount for your music mount and use the cache backend with majority of the defaults:

https://rclone.org/cache/

For a chunk size, I'd probably use something small like 32M which should be good for music.

I've seen a few posts but nothing very definitive on speed and how it works.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.