Onedrive latency is 30-45 seconds; is this to be expected?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Any operation on a personal onedrive account (ls, copy, touch) takes about 30-45 seconds to complete. I'm trying to find out if this is to be expected, or a problem at my end I need to investigate, as the latency makes it unusable for my purposes.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.55.1

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

• os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Onedrive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone touch onedr:/xx

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

2021/04/29 02:06:00 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/user/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2021/04/29 02:06:00 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.55.1" starting with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "touch" "onedr:/xx"]
2021/04/29 02:06:00 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "onedr:/"
2021/04/29 02:06:00 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "__raw_onedrive_mine:rcroot/onedr"
2021/04/29 02:06:21 DEBUG : r7jib0qa941rdarg01rilps8ao: Starting multipart upload
2021/04/29 02:06:26 DEBUG : r7jib0qa941rdarg01rilps8ao: Uploading segment 0/32 size 32
2021/04/29 02:06:32 DEBUG : xx: SHA-1 = 9ec3d3faa454e3dbcfe9c5b14f2dd416f15786f2 OK
2021/04/29 02:06:32 DEBUG : 6 go routines active

I just tried the same command and have a response time of 1 second in my OneDrive Personal.

I suggest you first try to identify the bottleneck using:

rclone touch onedr:/xx -vv --dump 'requests' 

You can also try:

rclone touch onedr:/xx -vv --dump 'requests,responses' 

Be careful before sharing the result, there may be secrets in the responses.

What is the speed and ping response times of you internet connection?

@Ole, thank you for the response! I tried the --dump 'requests', and that showed me that what was happening is completely unrelated to rclone. It was a DNS issue at my end that was causing the 30+ second latency! I hadn't noticed or thought of it because I generally use the terminal only to connect to hosts within a corporate network, which don't suffer from these long latencies.

Thank you again for the help, and apologies I hadn't checked this first!

For others hitting similar issues, even though this is unrelated to rclone: I'm running Ubuntu/x86_64 via WSL2. Doing:

nslookup onedrive.com

took several seconds, which was because my first nameserver did not resolve, and the backup nameserver eventually did. In my case, the solution was to set /etc/resolve.conf to be auto-generated.

4 Likes

No problem, I’m glad you found and solved the issue.

Thanks for sharing your analysis and solution; I learned something too :grinning:

2 Likes

:+1: great!

Since the underlying issue is pending resolution by the WSL, and affects those using VPN, posting this here for reference:

Related issue:

There is also a "third party" solution which I've had success with. Instead of fighting with the Hyper-V virtual networking that WSL uses, it uses Docker's approach: Using components from Docker Desktop for Windows to create a network adapter in the wsl distro that connects to the host via a process pipe, where the traffic is "routed" directly to the hosts network connection. Then the wsl distro will use any vpn and whatever dns settings etc that the host uses.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.