OneDrive Business Crypt slow down and long file names error

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I added my One Drive Business account to my Unraid using rclone but when i start the rclone sync to my onedrive the performance are really bad, very slow, and sometimes my rclone crashes and i need to shutdown the server and bootup again.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.62.0-beta.6672.98fa93f6d

• os/version: slackware 15.0+ (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.19.17-Unraid (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.19.4
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

OneDrive Business

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone sync --transfers 5 --checkers 100 --progress --fast-list -v /mnt/user/Music OneDrive_Bussiness_Secure:

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[OneDrive_Bussiness]
type = onedrive
token = xxxx
drive_id = xxxx
drive_type = business
client_id = xxxxxx
client_secret = xxxxxxxx
auth_url = https://login.microsoftonline.com/xxxxx/oauth2/v2.0/authorize
token_url = https://login.microsoftonline.com/xxxxxx/oauth2/v2.0/token

[OneDrive_Bussiness_Secure]
type = crypt
remote = OneDrive_Bussiness:secure
password = xxxxxx
password2 = xxxxxxx

A log from the command with the -vv flag

rclone sync --transfers 5 --checkers 100 --progress --fast-list -vv /mnt/user/Music OneDrive_Bussiness_Secure:
2023/01/04 14:37:36 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.62.0-beta.6672.98fa93f6d" starting with parameters ["rcloneorig" "--config" "/boot/config/plugins/rclone/.rclone.conf" "sync" "--transfers" "5" "--checkers" "100" "--progress" "--fast-list" "-vv" "/mnt/user/Music" "OneDrive_Bussiness_Secure:"]
2023/01/04 14:37:36 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "/mnt/user/Music"
2023/01/04 14:37:36 DEBUG : Using config file from "/boot/config/plugins/rclone/.rclone.conf"
2023/01/04 14:37:36 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "OneDrive_Bussiness_Secure:"
2023/01/04 14:37:37 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "OneDrive_Bussiness:secure"

hello and welcome to the forum,

onedrive is well known for heavy throttling, often better to use defaults for flags, not to increase values.

why not just kill rclone, what necessitates a hard shutdown?
is the enough free memory?

can you post a rclone debug log, or at least some specific errors

have you tried the stable version of rclone?

might start with something such as this.

rclone sync /mnt/user/Music OneDrive_Bussiness_Secure: --progress --fast-list -vv

let's see what happens and based on that, we can tweak the command.

and about the long file name error, that is a known issue, the docs makes mention of this
"For cloud storage systems using UTF-16 to store file names internally (e.g. OneDrive), base32768 can be used to drastically reduce file name length."

Hi!

I spent many months with this problem and what solved it in my case were the following changes:

• Change Option if you have crypt remote
filename_encoding to base64
  • In My command I added the following flags

After these changes, I no longer experienced slowdowns and was no longer limited by Onedrive.

Some caveats about Onedrive it doesn't deal well with files of different sizes in a directory for example I backup movies where some movies have subtitles Onedrive is fine loading normally but when it goes through the subtitles I'm limited.

hi,
if you OP has an existing remote and wants to change filename_encoding, then need to follow the docs.
"This can be used, for example, to change file name encryption type without re-uploading all the data"

rclone now has base32768
"For cloud storage systems using UTF-16 to store file names internally (e.g. OneDrive), base32768 can be used to drastically reduce file name length."

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.