No mount points with rclone-mount Magisk module on Android

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Unable to find any mount points after configuring rclone-mount with Magisk.

I have to admit that I am generally confused about Magisk's rclone-mount module. It seems to work well for people. For example, here's a fairly recent post from this forum:

Rclone mount on rooted Android - Help and Support - rclone forum - thread 20935

Why aren't you using the Magisk module's native mount method? I find it works quite reliably and works for most use-cases.

I'd like to achieve that too. However, I keep running into issues. The problem I'm trying to solve now is that the expected mount points are not available after configuring a new connection. I can use rclone ls <mountpoint> to list the contents of a server and that succeeds so I know the connection is working. But there are no mount points under any of these locations:

• /mnt/cloud/
  • /storage/cloud/
  • /sdcard/cloud/

And I don't see any errors (but also not sure where I could look for them).

I assume the fusermount binary is the problem. I have referred to:

Fusermount on android (rclone mount) | XDA Forums]

(xda-developers - dotcom /t/fusermount-on-android-rclone-mount.3866652/)

However, that's an older thread and I am hesitant to try suggestions from 2019, and also confused regarding exactly what I should try next.

This is the fusermount file that gets installed by the Magisk module:

# file fusermount
fusermount: ELF shared object, 64-bit LSB arm64, dynamic (/system/bin/linker64), for Android 21, built by NDK r20 (5594570), not stripped

Does that look correct?

These are the contents of the installation directory:

:/data/adb/modules/com.piyushgarg.rclone # ls -la
total 244
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4096 2021-10-11 12:50 .
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root  4096 2019-04-17 12:16 ..
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root  4096 2021-10-11 12:33 .config
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     0 2021-10-11 12:50 disable
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 55256 2021-10-11 12:14 fusermount
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   306 2021-10-11 12:14 fusermount-wrapper.sh
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 67608 2021-10-11 12:14 inotifywait
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 70696 2021-10-11 12:14 libandroid-support.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   444 2021-10-11 12:14 module.prop
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     0 2021-10-11 12:14 rclone
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  4813 2021-10-11 12:14 rclonew
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     0 2021-10-11 12:50 remove
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14543 2021-10-11 12:14 service.sh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     0 2021-10-11 12:14 skip_mount
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  2028 2021-10-11 12:14 syncd.sh

That's before I copy the rclone binary into place.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.57.0-beta.5698.19fc1b2a9

• os/version: Android 9 - os/kernel: 4.4.78-perf+ (armv8l)
  • os/type: android
  • os/arch: arm64
  • go/version: go1.16.9
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

SSH/SFTP

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Just trying to browse to the mount points.

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

# cat /data/ssh/root/.config/rclone/rclone.conf
[myconfigname]
type = sftp
host = mysite.com
user = myuser
key_file = ${RCLONE_CONFIG_DIR}/mykey.pem

Should I use the rclone package for Termux instead? Can I achieve automatic mounting of the servers at boot with the Termux package? (I have not used Termux before.)

Thanks and sorry for the long post. If I was less confused, I could probably have drilled down to the specific issue a little better.

I opened an issue with more details here:

Requesting help to troubleshoot where my install is going wrong. No automatic fuse mounts · Issue #107 · Magisk-Modules-Repo/com.piyushgarg.rclone

Is this the better approach?

google drive - How to mount rclone on Android? - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

a solution:
How to automate rclone-mount without Termux or Magisk? - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

I have rclone-mount working on two different Android devices now. Both are rooted, of course, but one runs the stock Samsung firmware and the other runs LineageOS. The rclone Magisk module did not work correctly for me on either device. I used Termux:Boot to implement a nice automatic rclone-mount solution on my LineageOS device. On the other device, I had to implement my own simple script.

I would not say I have a final solution for using rclone-mount on Android, but at least I have something that is working for now. It works with both pCloud (suggesting it should work with any cloud storage) as well as my own SFTP server.

I plan to revisit this topic. Maybe we can collectively get the Magisk module working or maybe I can improve the scripts I'm using now (and if so, I will share them).

Great that I have finally found a person who is in the exact same situation as me. I too wonder the same. I am following the same procedure as everyone, but it doesn't work for me alone. It doesn't show me any error too, but the expected mount points are not available, although rclone ls <mountpoint> lists the files on my remote server properly.

And yeah, to make things worse, the /sdcard/.rclone/rclone.log will not get saved as well, hindering my ability to find any error message that is causing this issue.

So perhaps if one of us, or someone facing the same issue as us find the solution, we could make it work for all. What is your current situation? Have you found a solution to this problem?

I have also created this telegram group, to discuss this issue in a more effective manner. Anyone who is facing a similar issue (even if you have found the solution), consider joining this group: https://t.me/rclonemounterror

Else we could chat in this forum or in this github page as well.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.