New subcommand for git-annex remote

[Apparently, I can only put two links in this post. See GitHub issue #7625 for a fully-linkified version of this post.]

Hi folks, is there any interest in a new rclone subcommand that acts as a git-annex remote? The term "remote" is unfortunately overloaded by git-annex and rclone; I'm describing an rclone subcommand that speaks the git-annex external special remote protocol, enabling git-annex to store and retrieve content from rclone remotes.

A similar project called git-annex-remote-rclone already exists, but my primary complaint is that it does not support git-annex-export, aka "tree exports". As a result, the content exported from git-annex to an rclone remote is opaque to humans -- just a bunch of files with names like "GPGHMACSHA512--${DIGEST}", not a browseable file tree.

I think there's also some potential performance improvements if we move the client into rclone. For instance, it could support git-annex's ASYNC protocol extension rather than transferring files one at a time. I assume there's also some overhead to exec-ing rclone once per file that could be eliminated with a more persistent client.

This is admittedly pretty niche, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if there's any community interest!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.