N00b questions about RClone copy

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Trying to figure out optimal copy command for backup to google drive. I want to make a cron job that runs every night and copies all new or updated files from a Linux NAS up to google drive.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Linux, Raspbian

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

/usr/bin/rclone copy --update --fast-list --verbose --transfers 30 --checkers 8 --contimeout 60s --timeout 300s --retries 3 --low-level-retries 10 --stats 1s "/mnt/datadrive/Data" "gdrive:Backup”

Could I get some advice please for an optimal COPY command to run every night? The one above is what I found on a stray blog.

Also, what exactly does the “—update” flag do? I thought it was inferred in the copy command.

rclone copy --fast-list --drive-stop-on-upload-limit /mnt/datadrive/Data gdrive:Backup
  -u, --update                               Skip files that are newer on the destination.

You can find out about any flag here:

hello and welcome to the forum,

that version of rclone is two years old...
update here
https://rclone.org/downloads/#script-download-and-install

I saw that. I just don’t understand why it would be needed in conjunction with the copy command. I thought the copy command already did that by default.

you might want to use a command like this for backup

rclone sync $source $dest --backup-dir=$backupdir/`date +%Y%m%d.%I%M%S` -vv

if you are not sure what a command does, use --dry-run

Most people by default want the source to overwrite the destination if different.

That option gives you the ability to not overwrite if it's newer on the other side which is not standard behavior for a copy command.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.