Moving cache from under the crypt (to outside)

Hi all,

Been recently struggling with the file name too long error and stumbled upon this issue on github: https://github.com/ncw/rclone/issues/2040

One of the solution seems to be avoiding:

rclone -> cache -> crypt

in favour of

rclone -> crypt -> cache

From my naive understanding, it seems like it may be as simple as pointing my cache to my crypt, and crypt to my remote directly. Just in case it does more damage than good, I wanted to check to see if there was anything I was missing (and if my understanding of the base problem is correct)

This is what my current config looks like:

[gdrive]
type = drive
client_id =
client_secret =
scope = drive
root_folder_id =
service_account_file =
token = ...

[media-enc--cache]
type = cache
remote = gdrive:media-enc
plex_url = http://127.0.0.1:32400
plex_username = ...
plex_password = ...
chunk_size = 10M
info_age = 24h
chunk_total_size = 100G
plex_token = ...

[media-enc--crypt]
type = crypt
remote = media-enc--cache:
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = ...
password2 = ...

The docs for Cache talk about:

I’m not sure if that’s due to the old versions and could possibly be retested now and see how it works. I don’t use cache but also don’t see how adding cache would make a filename shorter unless I’m missing something.

I find it more impressive you have file names that long as I’ve never hit that issue :slight_smile:

That’s interesting to know, probably the reason I went with that setup.

I find it more impressive you have file names that long as I’ve never hit that issue :slight_smile:

I don’t have a particularly convoluted folder structure (e.g. movies > movie folder > file), but sometimes you get the odd name that tips over and it means it’s unplayable until I fix it.

I was just wondering if there was a better solution than going in and renaming.

Neat. Out of 26,327 Movies and TV Shows, I’ve never seen that happen.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.