Mounting remote over SFTP sizes

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm new to rclone, and just wondering if this is feasible: I have a local server with limited disk space(only about 1TB storage). With a 500Mbit connection to a remote server with SSH/SFTP. The remote server has plenty of disk space 10TB or greater. I want to mount the remote server storage using SSH/SFTP to the local server, and then run various processes on the local server that write large amounts of data to the mounted remote. Is remote file system mounting using rclone efficient and reliable enough to do this type of thing? The speed at which the large amounts of data is written to the remote filesystem doesn't really matter to me, but more important is the reliability.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.53.3-DEV

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.18

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Local disks. SSH/SFTP to the remote server.

hello and welcome to the forum,

i use rclone mount to point to a sftp server, a hetzner storage box.

tho i do not know your exact use-case, the odds are, need to use --vfs-cache-mode=full
which download/cache some of the data from the sftp server to your local machine.
so might still hit a hard limit of free space on local.

the only way to know is for you to run some tests.

and that is a old version of rclone, need to update
https://rclone.org/downloads/#script-download-and-install

and just curious, why not use linux mount to mount the sftp server

Ok. I will update the version of rclone and run some tests. I was told the only connection types I'm allowed to use are SSH to the remote server. So it is really just a project/security constraint. Although I'm open to other options that are better for mounting SFTP. I'm not really aware of the different options. Can you recommend any alternative ways to mount SFTP using linux?

not saying what is better in your case.

not really an expert at that, but the internet is full of guides

https://www.tecmint.com/sshfs-mount-remote-linux-filesystem-directory-using-ssh/
" SSHFS stands for (Secure SHell FileSystem) client that enable us to mount remote filesystem and interact with remote directories and files on a local machine using SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)."

Ok. Thanks. I was just reading some info on SSHFS as well. It sounds like that might be the right choice.

SFTP is transported over SSH and it is usually enabled, so it will probably work out of the box with rclone and fit within your security constraints.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.