Mounting a bucket using rclone mount: hundreds of errors - vfs cache: failed to reload item: reload: failed to add virtual dir entry: file does not exist

I'm not sure how I've screwed this up, but I've been experimenting with integrating rclone into IDrive e2 and hit a snag.

I set up a mount and have been playing with moving a few files back and forth, figuring out how to automate the mount, that sort of thing. Now when I mount the drive with this command

rclone mount e2:backup1/ ~/mnt/ --vfs-cache-mode writes -vv

I get a whole string of errors about the cache. I'm not sure how I deleted things from the cache, because I don't know where the cache is. What I have done is deleted things directly in the IDrive E2 web interface.

Here's the errors that it creates without verbose logging
https://pastebin.com/5KXZ9E4g

Here's the debug log
https://pastebin.com/yiX2TeyZ

If somebody could help me understand what I did wrong and how to fix it, that would be very much appreciated.

hi,
in the debug log, only a single ERROR
what is the problem you are experiencing

from the debug log

DEBUG : vfs cache: root is "/Users/USER/Library/Caches/rclone"

not really an issue, as i often manually prune the vfs file cache.
if rclone cannot find a file, it will just download/stream it again.

Sorry, I forgot to write

This set of four lines is repeated for hundreds of files. I trimmed them to keep the size of the pastebin down. I think it's all the files I deleted.

1. 2022/08/18 17:49:13 DEBUG : media/MP3/Wood Brothers/Ways Not To Lose/10 Angel Band.mp3: vfs cache: truncate to size=7739272

2. 2022/08/18 17:49:13 DEBUG : media/MP3/Wood Brothers/Ways Not To Lose/10 Angel Band.mp3: vfs cache: setting modification time to 2013-03-04 16:12:25 +0000 UTC

3. 2022/08/18 17:49:13 INFO : media/MP3/Wood Brothers/Ways Not To Lose/10 Angel Band.mp3: vfs cache: queuing for upload in 5s

4. 2022/08/18 17:49:13 ERROR : media/MP3/Wood Brothers/Ways Not To Lose/10 Angel Band.mp3: vfs cache: failed to reload item: reload: failed to add virtual dir entry: file does not exist

UPDATE:
Today, when I tested the command, it didn't generate all those errors. I've done nothing to fix it.

Can anybody share any light on why this happens. I've seen one other post about this same error that didn't seem to get resolved. Is it the case that this will happen in certain situations, particularly if you're testing workflows like I was? Something like if the drive isn't mounted for long enough, the cache can't sort itself out so just needs time?

if you manually delete files from the vfs file cache, you will get some minor errors.
that is expected behavior

I didn't delete anything from the vfs file cache.

at this point, seems to be a one-time glitch and that is not unexpected for a new user.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.