Mounted Backblaze B2 download speeds are slow

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Backblaze B2 mounted download speeds are slow.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.55.0

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Debian 10, 64 Bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Backblaze B2

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount b2:bucketname /home/myusername/Mount --allow-other --allow-non-empty --cache-db-purge --transfers 32 --multi-thread-cutoff 100M --multi-thread-streams 20 --fast-list --vfs-cache-mode full  -vv

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[b2]
type = b2
account = redacted
key = redacted
hard_delete = true
chunk_size = 128M
memory_pool_flush_time = 30s

Nothing too interesting in the logs, just a lot of this:

Apr 04 07:34:40 mediaserver rclone[13120]: DEBUG : &{TV/show.mkv (rw)}: >Read: read=131072, err=<nil>
Apr 04 07:34:40 mediaserver rclone[13120]: DEBUG : &{TV/show.mkv (rw)}: Read: len=131072, offset=220987392
Apr 04 07:34:40 mediaserver rclone[13120]: DEBUG : &{TV/show.mkv (rw)}: Read: len=131072, offset=220856320
Apr 04 07:34:40 mediaserver rclone[13120]: DEBUG : TV/show.mkv(0xc000a36ec0): _readAt: size=131072, off=220987392
Apr 04 07:34:40 mediaserver rclone[13120]: DEBUG : vfs cache: looking for range={Pos:220987392 Size:131072} in [{Pos:0 Size:221241344}] - present true
Apr 04 07:34:40 mediaserver rclone[13120]: DEBUG : TV/show.mkv(0xc000a36ec0): _readAt: size=131072, off=220856320
Apr 04 07:34:40 mediaserver rclone[13120]: DEBUG : vfs cache: looking for range={Pos:220856320 Size:131072} in [{Pos:0 Size:221241344}] - present true
Apr 04 07:34:40 mediaserver rclone[13120]: DEBUG : TV/show.mkv(0xc000a36ec0): >_readAt: n=131072, err=<nil>

I use rclone with Jellyfin Media Server. It's like plex, but open source. I use mounted b2 storage as the cloud storage. I run it on a VPS, so connecting a hard drive isn't really an option. But the video files in jellyfin usually take around 15 seconds to load. I assumed it was due to the download speed. So I tested it.

rsync --progress "show.mkv" /home/myusername/testdirectory

And sure enough, the download speeds were pretty slow. Here was the output of the command at one point while it was running.

218,398,720 69% 10.37MB/s 0:00:05

I did the same command with google drive back when i used that, and usually got 40MB/s or so. My vps usually get's at least 200MB/s download speed when testing with speedtest-cli, so it's not due to a slow connection. I assumed since b2 was made for cloud storage, it would be also be fast like that. However, it usually only downloads in the 7MB/s to 15MB/s range. I tried to improve this by adding threads and the "fast-list" variable. It didn't really fix it though.

If it matters, i'm mainly talking about transfer speed for singular big media files, not a large amount of smaller files.

Is there any other configurations I can do to make it faster? Or is this just the speed that mounted backblaze b2 usually is?

hello and welcome to the forum,

i use jellyfin, it was not designed to stream media from the cloud.

pretty sure, B2 is not a good choice for streaming media.
and i think it charges for downloads $0.01/GB
most rcloners use gdrive.

  • --cache-db-purge does nothing, based on your config file, so you can remove that.
  • --fast-list does nothing on a mount, so you can remove that.
  • unless you are 1000% sure you need it, then remove --allow-non-empty

I figured it out. It's because my server is in the netherlands, and i'm mostly connecting to us based services. And my server provider might be throttling the connections.

You know there is an EU based B2 option? Here is one of the hosts if you want to ping it api003.backblazeb2.com - it is a little bit awkward to sign up to - you have to make a new EU account with backblaze

Wow: that's irritating. I might have chosen the nearer region to me when I signed up - I can't tell (but I think the option might not have existed at the time); and there seems to be no easy way to tell which region I am using (aside from picking through network logs and resolving IP addresses, I suppose).

I've given feedback that it is awkward already. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

The EU Dc went live at the start of 2020 I think.

Thanks.

Just now I corresponded with someone at BackBlaze and that person gave no indication that any change to make such migration easier was forthcoming. But of course typically support people at private companies know nothing.

I did find out that, in a situation a little reminiscent of the 'beware of the leopard' joke in Hitchhiker's, there is a way to tell what region you are using. For, I was told the following (although these instructions give the steps in what amounts to . . reverse order):

You can see where the data for your account is being stored by clicking on My Settings from the left hand side of the menu on our site. On the settings page when you scroll down to the bottom there will be small grey text that displays the region setting. It is beneath the "Enabled Products" listing.

The relevant text is indeed small and grey - grey on a white background.

:wink:

You can create a new account and link it to the first account in a billing group. However you need to supply a new email address (the +whatever feature is useful here that most email providers support). It is all a bit clunky, but works fine when you have it set up .