Mount with gocryptfs - keep some files in vfs-cache for longer?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I've got some files stored on Google Drive encrypted with gocryptfs from before it introduced the deterministic file names option. This means that when listing directories there is some overhead if the gocryptfs.diriv files aren't cached. For this reason, when I use the Google Drive desktop app I set it to keep the .diriv files always available offline. What would be the best way to keep these diriv files cached when I'm using rclone mount on Windows instead? I was thinking maybe a workaround of running a scheduled task to list the directories in the background before --vfs-cache-max-age passes?

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.60.1

• os/version: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 10.0.22621.819 (x86_64)
  • os/type: windows
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.19.3
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: cmount

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Drive mounted via Windows service set to

C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin\rclone.exe mount gdrive: Z: --config C:\rclone\rclone.conf  --vfs-cache-mode full --cache-dir J:\Cache --vfs-cache-max-age 24h0m0s --log-file "C:\Users\Nter\AppData\Local\Temp\ZDriveMapperLog.txt"

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Editing existing "gdrive" remote with options:
- type: drive
- client_id: 
- client_secret: 
- scope: drive
- token: 
- team_drive:

A log from the command with the -vv flag

N/A

hello and welcome to the forum,

that will only update the vfs dir cache - to create a list of dir/files.
that will not download the content of the files into the vfs file cache.

if you want to cache the content of the files, need to download them.
could run a simple dos command, something like this, which will download the files into the vfs file cache.
copy z:\somedir > nul

1 Like

Sorry, I should have clarified, I meant listing the directories for the mounted, decrypted version of the files, which thereby downloads the diriv files of the underlying rclone mount

ok, i guess i am not understanding.

listing files does not download them.
dir z:\ or rclone ls z:\
that just lists the names of dirs/files, does not download them.

I have files encrypted with gocryptfs stored on the Google Drive. I mount that folder as my T:\ drive via cppcryptfs to decrypt the storage. So when I list a directory on the decrypted T:\ drive, it downloads the gocryptfs.dirv files in the encrypted folders on the Z:\ drive. I'm asking how to keep the gocryptfs.diriv files can remain cached longer than other files for performance reasons.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.