Mount Activity Hangs: Diagnosis and "First-Aid" (General)

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

While multiple operations are running (e.g. downloading 5 files simultaneously from Firefox into the mount), a subsequent operation that usually completes within milliseconds (e.g. directory listing) can take an unusually long time (several minutes) to complete. Nothing appears in the log (with default verbosity) in correlation with this behavior.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

At the moment, the latest version is 1.54.1.

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows and Linux. Mac users may want to know, too.

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Not necessarily relevant to question.

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

mount Foo:/ C:/Bar--poll-interval 10s  --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-poll-interval 10s

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[Foo]
type = s3
provider = Other
env_auth = false
access_key_id = *****
secret_access_key = *****
endpoint = *****

A log from the command with the -vv flag

N/A

The Question:

RClone has a handful of performance-tuning parameters. These are set to reasonable defaults that allow RClone to do its job while preventing it from overtaking a system's resources. Surely, in many cases, adjustment of these parameters can prevent hangs.

In the case of encountering a significant hang,

• What can I do to learn more about what factors influenced this particular hang?
  • What parameter changes are most likely to resolve hangs?
  • What other advice is there for how to approach resolving hangs? What do I need to understand about RClone's architecture in order to make informed decisions?

There are a few specific-case threads on the forum where people seek help resolving hangs that they've run into. I read through them, and none seemed useful for my particular scenario. I figured it would be useful to have more of a general (Stack Overflow style) approach to the issue.

The first thing to do would be to find out why you are getting the problem.

The most likely suspect would be that you are maxing out your upstream bandwidth.

You can try --bwlimit-file to limit the download for an individual file to see if that is the problem.

--bwlimit-file BwTimetable     Bandwidth limit per file in kBytes/s, or use suffix b|k|M|G or a full timetable.

The other thing you could do is investiate QoS in your router if this is the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.