Migrating G Suite to G Suite whilst keeping Google Docs format

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm trying to set up a migration that will 'mirror' one G Suite account with another on a different domain. This works using two remotes and a sync, however, all Docs files will be downloaded, converted, then uploaded. I was wondering whether there is a way to

• Convert on the way down, then convert on the way back up (what would be the best file format to export these documents to for the best conversion success?)
  • Transfer server-to-server, effectively cutting out the middle man (my local machine).

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.49.0

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.12.9

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu 18.04 64bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive -> Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Problem is, I'm not sure what command to run.

Unfortunately you can't download gdocs in "native" format so you have to have a conversion step :frowning:

I'd probably use -drive-export-formats ods,odt,odp as these are well understood open formats rather than the more proprietary Microsoft ones.

You'll need to then use an identical --drive-import-formats ods,odt,odp

Note that this will convert any .ods .odt or .odp files on the source into docs on the destination

Try adding --drive-server-side-across-configs that may work if the source user has the correct permission on the destination. If it does then it will copy the google docs without converting them.

Fantastic answer, Nick. Thanks for getting back so quickly.

I'll try both of the methods and report back to see which one had the most success.
Do you have any ideas as to what permissions the source and destination remotes need before proceeding with the --drive-server-side-across-configs command?

There are tools out there that do a straight-up GDrive > GDrive migration whilst preserving Docs formats (such as CloudMigrator Go), but I don't know how they do it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.