Migrating from pcloud US to Pcloud EU what is the correct proces

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am currently using rclone with the pcloud US server and API. I will be migrating my account to their EU servers. I understand that the API and server addresses are different. What is the correct process for this migration?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.54.0

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.15.7

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

KDE Neon 5.21.0

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

pCloud US -> moving to -> pCloud EU

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

n/a

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[remote]
type = pcloud
token = {"access_token":"ooooooooooo","token_type":"bearer","expiry":"0001-01-01T00:00:00Z"}

[crypt]
type = crypt
remote = remote:/
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = ooooooooooo

A log from the command with the -vv flag

n/a

How do I accomplish this migration? I realize that the API address is different. Do I need to make a new remote and a new crypt pointing to that remote after pcloud has notified me that my data has been migrated or can I update my existing config?

In either scenario, how will this affect the crypt remote which sits on top of the pcloud remote. Will my existing crypt setup still be valid or will I have to make a new one?

You can just make a new remote pointing to the new endpoint and either copy/adjust the crypt part making it point to the new location and you are good to go.

As long as the data is the same and you are using the same crypt/salt, it doesn't matter what the backend storage is.

yes, if you use https://rclone.org/crypt/#backing-up-a-crypted-remote

if there is a large amount of data to migrate, perhaps contact pcloud, they might have a migration process.

Good idea.

If not use rclone sync to copy the underlying remote to the new underlying remote - so sync the encrypted data directly without rclone decrypting and re-encrypting. This is more efficient and will allow rclone to check the hashes of the transfers.

This is what I thought but I want to be absolutely sure this will work.

pcloud will move the data on their end to the new server. I am just not sure about the rclone remote works because when I use rclone config there isn't an option for pcloud US and pcloud EU there is just one rclone remote. I have an existing rclone remote that was generated with the US API. If I can simple create a new remote after the data is migrated using the pcloud EU api and then point my existing crypt remote to this new remote that would be ideal.

I definitely won't be able to do this because as I understand it, copying from remote to remote basically downloads all the data and re-uploads it. This is not an option with my current internet.

ncw, can you confirm Animosity022's workflow? As I understand it:

1. Ask pcloud to migrate the data to the new server.
  2. Make a new remote using rclone config. How will rclone know to use the new eapi.ploud versus the old api.pcloud?
  3. Point the old crypt remote to the new pcloud remote I created in step 2.

Thanks for the help guys.

what you are trying to do, is something many rcloners, including myself, have done.

1. Ask pcloud to migrate the data to the new server.
    yes, then you do not have to download and upload the data using your slow internet connection.
    ask pcloud to copy, not move, the data to the new location, without deleting the data in the current location.
    to give you time to verify the migration was successful.

2. Make a new remote using rclone config. How will rclone know to use the new eapi.ploud versus the old api.pcloud?
    there are two ways to do it, one way via the rclone config command and another way using a flag https://rclone.org/pcloud/#pcloud-hostname
    when you create the remote, there is an option to use the EU hostname. make sure to choose yes to the advanced config

Hostname to connect to.

This is normally set when rclone initially does the oauth connection,
however you will need to set it by hand if you are using remote config
with rclone authorize.

Enter a string value. Press Enter for the default ("api.pcloud.com").
Choose a number from below, or type in your own value
 1 / Original/US region
   \ "api.pcloud.com"
 2 / EU region
   \ "eapi.pcloud.com"
  1. Point the old crypt remote to the new pcloud remote I created in step 2.
    yes, we can help with that.

step 1. after the migration, create the remote pointing to the root folder.
since you have already done that for the current location, should be easy to create another remote pointing to the new location.

pcloud sends rclone some extra data during the oauth for rclone to figure that out.

You can set it manually in the hostname parameter, but you shouldn't need to.

The workflow looks fine to me :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.