Mergerfs in MacOS - Plex Optimization Not Working

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am unable to create optimized verisions in Plex I have the same issue as this post. It says that I need to use mergerfs. However, I am running rclone on MacOS 10.15.4 and I believe that mergerfs does not work on MacOSX Is there another way to get it working? Thanks.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.51.0

• os/arch: darwin/amd64

• go version: go1.13.7

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Mac OS 10.15.4

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

N/A

A log from the command with the -vv flag (eg output from rclone -vv copy /tmp remote:tmp)

N/A

The way the optimization works, I don't think you are going to have much luck trying to get it done on the current rclone mount.

You may get some better luck once the new VFS backend gets released but there isn't an ETA for that. Plex does quite a lot when it optimizes, which is why having something like mergerfs in place helps as it's all done local rather than trying to do that on a cloud mount.

Even more so, fuse on Mac isn't less stable than the others in my experience.

I know there are some other Mac users here which might be able to chime in on what they do as I have a Mac, but don't use it for Plex.

OK, thanks. I checked the forums and could not find anything else about MergerFS on Mac. Hopefully the new VFS gets released soon. If anyone else has any ideas, I am open to it :slight_smile:

MountainDuck might be worth a try. It's paid, but has a 14 day full trial. Long enough to see if it is useful.

Lex:
OK, could I still use it with Rclone? I have all of my movies/TVs encrypted with rclone - could you give me a bit more information on how MountainDuck would work? Thanks.

If you are already using rclone, and especially w crypt, then mountainduck is prob not a good solution for your use case.

[[ If you had been just getting things set up and rclone was not working for you, mountainduck is a decent (paid) Mac alternative. It does some local caching and combines MyDrive and all TDs in a single mount. ]]

OK, thanks. Yes, I have all my TV and Movies uploaded and encrypted. Thanks for the information :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.