May I get some optimization recommendations for my Streaming and Upload mount/script for Plex?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

No issues, just would like to optimize my mounts used for streaming and mounts used for uploading. Made a previous post that I assume was deleted as I didn't use the template, my apologies for that; I assumed it would be a quick and easy reply but after looking through some threads it seems like people run different flags for their streaming mounts and uploading mounts, and the ones I am currently using were from a year old or so guide.

I would like to get some recommendations on which parameters to use for both.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.57.0
- os/version: ubuntu 18.04 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 4.15.0-166-generic (x86_64)
- os/type: linux
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.17.2
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Streaming remote:
/usr/bin/rclone mount enc_plx_mv_am: /home/user1/.mount_mv_am/
--user-agent='Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/83.0.4103.61 Safari/537.36$' 
--config /home/user1/.config/rclone/rclone.conf 
--buffer-size=32M 
--dir-cache-time=48h 
--drive-chunk-size 128M 
--vfs-read-chunk-size 256M
--vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off

Upload script:
rclone move /home/user1/data/tmp/movies/ enc_mv_am1:/ 
--transfers=8  
--checkers=8 
--delete-after 
--delete-empty-src-dirs 
--drive-stop-on-upload-limit 
--min-age 2m 
--log-file=$LOGFILE -v 
--drive-chunk-size 512M 
--tpslimit 8 
--drive-acknowledge-abuse=true 
--exclude='**partial~' 
--include="[a-m0-4]*/**" 
--ignore-case

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

### this is the streaming remote
[plx_mv_am]
type = drive
client_id = redacted
client_secret = redacted
scope = drive
token = redacted
team_drive = redacted
root_folder_id = 
server_side_across_configs = true

### this is the upload remote
[gdr_mv_am1]
type = drive
client_id = redacted
client_secret = redacted
scope = drive
token = redacted
team_drive = redacted
root_folder_id = 
server_side_across_configs = true

My plex dedicated server is on OVH and has 1Gbps up/down on a dedicated port, a 1TB SSD for downloading of media (and streaming cache I assume?), which is then moved to my 5TB HDD prior to uploading to Google Drive; no issues with streaming 4k remux or anything as is. I just figure the streaming remote flags up above might be impacting why it takes 4 or so seconds for media to load and would like to have this lowered to as near instantaneous as possible without any buffering issues, and essentially remove any unnecessary flags if any.

I haven't messed with the flags on neither the remote or script as they work fine and I got them straight from a guide, I would just like some recommendations for more up-to-date/optimized flags as I'm not an rclone guru.

(pls no delete this time as I put in far more effort for this post lol)

As a follow-up, @Animosity022 I tried copying your mount settings from your github but it looks like you moved over to dropbox. Do you still have your mount flags used from when you used to use google drive, and were they fine for 4k remux playback?

It's still on my github:

I never had an issues with 4K playback. I use full mode as a layer but it's rarely rclone that causes issues with 4k playback as it's generally bad peering or an under powered server.

Thanks for that! Don't know how I missed that. Before I swap my service file and give that a try, just wanna confirm that you didn't use
--buffer-size
--drive-chunk-size
--vfs-read-chunk-size
--vfs-read-chunk-size-limit

correct?

I use full mode and no reason to change it from the default.

That's only for uploads and I don't upload/write to my mount.

The defaults are fine as I helped tune/shape the defaults.

My overall goal is leave it at the default unless I have a reason to change it.

I've been with OVH (Beauharnois, Canada) for almost five years now. Plex is hosted on a dedicated server (for which I pay way too much, considering the hardware hasn't changed since I signed up). No issues to report.

So, you download on your dedicated server, and then download again to a local HDD? Why not do everything remotely? Space? If so, I'm in the same situation where I have just a little over 600GB to play with every day, but it works for me, as I upload pretty quickly after downloading.

I don't know where you are geographically, but to give you an idea of what works for me with streaming from OVH to my house with an average latency of about 75ms:

For streaming:
rclone mount --attr-timeout 5000h --dir-cache-time 5000h --drive-pacer-burst 200 --drive-pacer-min-sleep 10ms --no-checksum --poll-interval 0 --rc --read-only --user-agent ******* -v

For moving/editing things:
rclone mount --drive-pacer-burst 200 --drive-pacer-min-sleep 10ms --user-agent ******* -v

For uploading with RcloneBrowser (mostly RCB defaults):
rclone move --ignore-existing --verbose --transfers 4 --checkers 8 --bwlimit 95M --contimeout 60s --timeout 300s --retries 3 --low-level-retries 10 --stats 1s --stats-file-name-length 0 --drive-chunk-size 1024M --drive-pacer-burst 200 --drive-pacer-min-sleep 10ms --user-agent *******

Apologies, I meant download to the dedicated servers SSD and move to the servers HDD for postprocessing/then upload. And thanks for the settings, ill try those out if I have any issues with @Animosity022 's configurations. Thanks to you both for the replies and help, much appreciated! This can be closed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.