Maintain Both Created and Modified Dates

Hi All

Rclone Noob here, amazing tool and enjoying using it however I have noticed something, when using rclone or rsync to a Google Team Drive, I'm loosing the Created date. (see attached) I've looked through the documentation and I can't find anything from the existing commands that seems to do exactly what I'm looking to do, I don't even know if it's possible but has anyone else experienced this or got a work around?

You can't set the creation date with Google Drive only the modified date.

I know what you mean, in the app you cant but say you use the Google drive File stream App to see those files locally mounted on your machine, you can see those dates then. this is the complaint my end users are having some times they organise files by creation date. I wouldn't say its a deal breaker but its definitely upset a few people in the past soI want to try and avoid it this time if there is a way :frowning:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say as i didn't say to use the Google Drive File Stream app.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

A lot of my end users use Google Drive File Stream to access these team drives rather than the web interface. that's why having the correct creation and modified dates is important. They sometimes use these for filtering and arranging results. But just seen on the web interface for Google Drive that there is definitely a created and modified date within the Details section of each file. (Screen shot) You can see the Modified date is correct. The created date, however, has been replaced with the date I did the transfer. So if modified date can be brought over as part of the rclone process surely created date can to? So thats my question really. Hopefully that makes more sense. .

You can always open a feature request to request said functionality.

I wasn't saying it can or cannot be done, I was saying currently, it doesn't exist.

My understanding is that the creation date cannot be changed. The creation date is just that... The date for which the object was created.

How do you expose the created date though via rclone ? I did not think you could.

For Example...

root@:/data/log# rclone lsl robgd:PersonalDoc/ca.rsa.2048.crt --drive-use-created-date
2025 2017-04-17 08:20:03.422000000 ca.rsa.2048.crt

root@:/data/log# rclone lsl robgd:PersonalDoc/ca.rsa.2048.crt
2025 2017-02-06 03:09:39.000000000 ca.rsa.2048.crt

I think he’s looking to see both at the same time so he can choose to sort / filter on either.

@Mark_Pout are you looking to "set them"? Or view them? I understood you wanted to "set" the creation dates.

Hi all

So just to be clear, as part of the RCLONE process I'm looking to maintain the original created date and modified date from the source location to the Google Shared drive. Im not looking to set those dates I just want them to be maintained as they come over as part of the process. My end users use both dates to sometimes sort their results when accessing the shared drive.

Also sorry for the Radio silence over the last few days (Crazy week). Anyway I never get answers so it's nice to find a supportive and engaged community! thanks all so far!

Gdrive doesn't support syncing creation dates.

rclone will only sync the modified date.

Suprisingly according to the dev docs you can set createdTime

https://developers.google.com/drive/api/v3/reference/files#resource

createdTime datetime The time at which the file was created (RFC 3339 date-time). writable

However on unix at least there isn't a created time for files so unix systems use the modified time. There are only two times you can set on unix systems the Modification time (which rclone syncs) and the Access time which is the time the file was last read (which rclone doesn't sync).

So modification time is the least common denominator and that is why rclone syncs it.

Of all the platforms rclone supports only Windows appears to have a 3rd modifiable time the creation time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.