Lots of Music - Best rclone mount setting

Hoping the great @Animosity022 will give some advice on this but of course am open to any help. I’m using rclone mount and have a lot of music in my Google Cloud which I’m trying to Scan and Stream with Plex

Issue: The scans take FOREVER and seem excessively slow. I believe the issue is with the mount settings I’m using. I use these same settings for video streaming as well…but I have a feeling I should modify/tweak these settings to solve my issue with the music files. So I’d like to create a separate rclone mount to specifically handle/target my music library.

Is there anything in these settings which just scream problem? I imagine the chunk size can drop to 8-32M…Right? But what else if anything?

rclone --allow-non-empty --allow-other mount tdrive: /mnt/tdrive \
                          --uid=1000 --gid=1000 --rc \
                          --size-only
                          --dir-cache-time=72h \
                          --vfs-read-chunk-size=128M
                          --vfs-cache-max-age 675h
                          --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit=1G \
                          --buffer-size=64M --syslog --umask 002 --log-level INFO \
                          --config /root/.config/rclone/rclone.conf

If it’s just music files, you could try to tweak down the chunk and buffer size to 10M and leave the buffer at the default. Are you able to scan and share a debug log while it is going slow?

How did this ended?

I tried to use Plex for music with rclone but the performance is terrible.

It takes more than one minute to forward to the next song

Same result you mentioned. Overall, it just seemed really slow. I haven’t had much time to experiment much with it

And your mount settings are what? The logs show what?

And your mount settings are what? The logs show what?

Which logs should I post?
The ones from Plex as soon as I hit play till the music starts playing? Or the ones from rclone during the same process?

Here you got my mount settings (default ones from Plexguide mount scripts):
[Unit]
Description=TDrive Daemon
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=0
Group=0
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone --allow-non-empty --allow-other mount tdrive: /mnt/tdrive
–uid=1000 --gid=1000 --rc
–size-only --dir-cache-time=2m
–vfs-read-chunk-size=96M --vfs-cache-max-age 675h --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit=1G
–buffer-size=48M --syslog --umask 002 --log-level INFO
–config /root/.config/rclone/rclone.conf
ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -uz /mnt/tdrive
TimeoutStopSec=20
KillMode=process
RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

That’s a pretty odd config.

I don’t see why you’d want your dir-cache-time to be 2 minutes as nothing would be cached for the most part and you’d make a lot of calls for the directory/file structure.

If you are talking primarily about music files, have a 96M starting chunk size seems to be big. What is the average size of the music files? I’d try something like 16M if that and try to make the buffer-size the same size as your initial chunk size, which relates back to your average music file size.

Not sure on this either: --vfs-cache-max-age 675h. I’d just remove it and leave the 1 hour default.

Those settings would definitely make browsing and forwarding pretty bad.

OK so now I tried with
rclone mount --allow-non-empty --allow-other --uid=1000 --gid=1000 --rc --size-only --dir-cache-ti me=2m --vfs-read-chunk-size=16M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit=1G --buffer-size=16M --syslog --umask 002 --log-level INFO juanmartin:Music /mnt

But it still takes at least 30 seconds for a song to start playing a song or when I click next to the next song

I have more than 200gb of 320kbps mp3 music, so i don’t know the average file size per song, but I assume it would be a bit less than 14MB

Any idea of what I could change to make it better? I got the impression that the performance is even worst than when trying to play video!

Are you playing directly from the mount? Can you share the log file in DEBUG of what happens when you hit play?

A 2 minute directory-cache time is really not a good choice. I’m not sure why you’d have that set so low.

Yes I’m playing directly from the mount. I will check the DEBUG log of rclone to see what happens when I hit play.

The only reason why I have that setup it’s because that was the default one that came with plexguide.com scripts. I’m happy to use a different one more optimized for music streaming

I’m not sure what the goal of their guide is and what they are trying to deliver. For my use case or this one for streaming, a 2 minute cache seems awfully low though.