Lost original password

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Lost original password.

I have lost the original password but I have the password on the rclone.conf there are some way to get the original password?

Thanks

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version

Last version

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows 10

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Gdrive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

hi,
what is a plain password?

the rclone.conf has been encrypted and you have that password?

Hello I have the password on the rclone.conf

I know I can use this password to access the content but, on the future may be I need the original password without encrypt?.

I would like to have the original password without encrypt.

Thanks

there is no original password for the rclone.conf file.
it is a simple text file that you can edit with notepad.

The password on rclone.conf is obfuscated, I want the password I put originally when I created the crypt.

Thanks.

you have a crypted remote and no longer have the password you used when you created the remote?

Exactly, I only have the password rclone store obfuscated on the rclone.conf . I can access the content but I don't have the password I insert when I created the crypt. Can I get this password??

Thanks.

If you make a new crypt remote, you can enter random passwords in the fields and then use a text editor to put the obfuscated in there.

It is obviously recoverable. You may have to dig into the code and documentation for the key.

I would make a feature request to add a reverse mode to obscure. Seems useful!

Out of curiosity, why do you want the original? Is there another tool you’re using to read and write rclone crypt? Because if not, the obscured ones are sufficient!

given there is no need for the original password and the possible security risks,
and based on other such requests over the years, i do not think rclone authors will ever implement that.

imho, i would not want rclone to have that feature.

1 Like

that is a good suggestion
also rclone config command can copy a existing remote to a new remote name.
c) Copy remote

Hi, I do not use other program , exist other program?.

I want the password because, I the future may be I will need it???.

I don't understand when you say « It is obviously recoverable. You may have to dig into the code and documentation for the key.

I would make a feature request to add a reverse mode to obscure . Seems useful!»

really, there is no need for it.

1 Like

Ok. I will be tranquil.

Thanks

2 Likes

just make sure to have a backup copy of the rclone.conf file.
without that, your crypted files will be unrecoverable forever.

Yes this file i have backup.

You really are fine without the originals. But test it. Rename your current config and try what I suggested. (Enter something random and then manually change it). You’ll see that it still works!

rclone already has the ability to reveal the obscured password. See Get Password and Salt From Config

Ok, lo of thanks.