Log level changes

@ncw I was just wondering would it be too much work to change the way the log level works.

For example if I specify INFO, I get NOTICE as well, and if I specify DEBUG I get INFO, NOTICE, ERROR and DEBUG I believe.

Rather than be restricted in getting the level I requested, and all the levels below it, would it be possible to have some finer grain control?

Say something along the lines of how Apache does it.

E_ERROR & ~E_DEPRECATED

So in that instance I'd get all the errors but none of the deprecated ones.

E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE

There are others like above, so I would get all the log levels but not the NOTICE level.

I guess that is possible. Mainly the configuration of it is a pain!

What particular problem are you trying to solve?

Would you consider implementing this feature?

Oh just when using rclone with size limits you get lots of NOTICE entries saying which files were skipped, it makes the log unnecessarily large.

I could have a look certainly, am unsure about the implementing part anytime soon but if you're happy with slow progress then it'll be fine, just I have a mountain of other commitments at the moment, there isn't private messaging on this forum is there?

Maybe the thing to do would be to tone down that log a bit to info, so it doesn't show unless you use -v?

Can you give an example of the log and I'll track it down

@ncw Oops sorry it seems I got mixed up between two different logs, so what I originally stated is false, the skipping of each file that is over the limit or under the limit isn't in my log.

But what these are, and this is what I meant to say i'd like to ignore and have not appear in my logs as I don't care too much about the symlinks I just want to backup my files, and be able to restore them if I accidentally delete something, I have 7 days grace period where I can still restore the file from Google Drive, although after the 7 days whilst its not in my synced folder it will be in my trash so can still restore if needs be.

2020/02/21 21:02:02 NOTICE: Backups/HOSTNAME/mirror/home/USERNAME/OS/chroot.tmp/vmlinuz: Can't follow symlink without -L/--copy-links
2020/02/21 21:02:02 NOTICE: Backups/HOSTNAME/mirror/home/USERNAME/OS/chroot.tmp/initrd.img: Can't follow symlink without -L/--copy-links
2020/02/21 21:02:03 NOTICE: Backups/HOSTNAME/mirror/home/USERNAME/OS/chroot/bin/lessfile: Can't follow symlink without -L/--copy-links
2020/02/21 21:02:03 NOTICE: Backups/HOSTNAME/mirror/home/USERNAME/OS/chroot/bin/mt: Can't follow symlink without -L/--copy-links
2020/02/21 21:02:03 NOTICE: Backups/HOSTNAME/mirror/home/USERNAME/OS/chroot/bin/rbash: Can't follow symlink without -L/--copy-links
2020/02/21 21:02:03 NOTICE: Backups/HOSTNAME/mirror/home/USERNAME/OS/chroot/bin/nc: Can't follow symlink without -L/--copy-links
2020/02/21 21:02:03 NOTICE: Backups/HOSTNAME/mirror/home/USERNAME/OS/chroot/bin/ypdomainname: Can't follow symlink without -L/--copy-links
2020/02/21 21:02:03 NOTICE: Backups/HOSTNAME/mirror/home/USERNAME/OS/chroot/bin/nisdomainname: Can't follow symlink without -L/--copy-links
2020/02/21 21:02:03 NOTICE: Backups/HOSTNAME/mirror/home/USERNAME/OS/chroot/bin/rnano: Can't follow symlink without -L/--copy-links
2020/02/21 21:02:03 NOTICE: Backups/HOSTNAME/mirror/home/USERNAME/OS/chroot/bin/lsmod: Can't follow symlink without -L/--copy-links
2020/02/21 21:02:03 NOTICE: Backups/HOSTNAME/mirror/home/USERNAME/OS/chroot/bin/systemd: Can't follow symlink without -L/--copy-links

Can you try this flag instead:

--skip-links                                   Don't warn about skipped symlinks.

Oh yes I am aware of that, but I was using it as an example to have better log levels and more finer grain control.

The rclone log levels are deliberately quite coarse grained to make them simple.

If you block NOTICEs then you'll be missing stuff you probably did want to see...

Its probably more productive to focus on specific logs that are troublesome.

Ok in that case what would you consider to be troublesome logs?

For me personally I'd still like some greater control, but maybe this could be something additional, not sure what that flag would be called however.

The ones which are bothering you.

The idea is that rclone should be almost silent without -v, it should show info about transfers with -v and show everything with -vv.

I'm open to suggestions!

It might be that re-working the log system would be a good idea, I'm just not convinced that we've hit upon the right idea yet.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.