Linked files in Google Drive are not syncing

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Linked files in Google Drive are not seen at all by rclone? I am not sure whether this is the intended behavior or not. For example, if I right click and "Add shortcut to Google Drive" in my browser to any folder that I am copying or syncing with rclone (or for that matter, just viewing), the file will not appear.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

$ rclone --version
rclone v1.50.2
- os/arch: linux/amd64
- go version: go1.13.6

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

64-bit linux machine (Kubuntu, 20.04 LTS)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone ls google-drive-personal:Research/Books/

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Current remotes:

Name                 Type
====                 ====
google-drive-personal drive
google-drive-school    drive

A log from the command with the -vv flag

I can see from the verbose output below that the file I am actually interested in (Quantum Field Theory (2nd edition) - Ryder.pdf) has been ignored because it is a google shortcut which is not recognized by rclone.

2021/06/15 19:45:21 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.50.2" starting with parameters ["rclone" "ls" "-vv" "google-drive-personal:Research/Books/"]
2021/06/15 19:45:21 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/porter/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2021/06/15 19:45:22 DEBUG : Quantum Field Theory (2nd edition) - Ryder.pdf: Ignoring unknown document type "application/vnd.google-apps.shortcut"
  5325345 Geometry, Topology, and Physics (2nd edition) - Nakahara.pdf
   --- more physics and math textbooks ---
2021/06/15 19:45:22 DEBUG : 5 go routines active
2021/06/15 19:45:22 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.50.2" finishing with parameters ["rclone" "ls" "-vv" "google-drive-personal:Research/Books/"]

My question then is how can I get rclone to copy / sync (or whatever command) the contents pointed to by the shortcut of the Google Drive link? Ideally, I would like have the option of copying or syncing all the contents of a folder in Drive to my local machine using rclone including those files pointed to by Google shortcuts (linked files).

Aside: Confusingly, there are in fact two types of shortcuts in Google Drive, one which is marked with a shortcut (usually a small arrow in the bottom left corner of the preview or title) and one which simply shows the file belonging to two different folders (as seen by right clicking and selecting "View Details"). The first type of links (ones marked) are ignored by rclone whereas the second type (those showing up in multiple folders) is treated like a normal file. I have contacted Google support to see if there is anyway I can somehow choose to create one type of link verse the other and they have confirmed that there is not. It is my present understanding that all links links produce the "Google shortcuts" within Drive (as in the above case) which are not recognized by rclone.

You have a very old version of rclone. You'd want to update it and test.

@Animosity022 Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I really should have checked the version from the get go. This issue was fixed in the newer versions of rclone (at least for rclone v1.55.1 and greater). Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.