Keep files locally after rclone is closed?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

When I reboot my system, or close rclone, the files in my share are not accessible.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.48.0

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.12.6

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu x64

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

google drive

I would like to have a designated folder which I can access and modify at will, and then use rclone to sync occasionally to the web. How can I achieve this?

You can't unfortunately as rclone isn't an offline tool.

You can keep a folder like you are saying and use rclone sync to keep it in sync.

Of course any Rclone mounted drive won't work when Rclone is closed. Rclone is needed to provide the active handling of data between your system and then cloud service. Cloud services typically handle files very differently from local filesystems, so any communication between them needs to be "translated" on the fly. Rclone does that job.

But the latter part of your request is easy to achieve. I will assume you already have your remote for the Gdrive set up here. In that case all you need to do is sync the two with a command like this:

rclone sync C:\MySyncedFolder MyGdriveRemote: -P --fast-list --track-renames -v
(this is just an example and you may want to use different flags - please see the documentation for sync on the webpage to learn more. The --dry-run is nice to know about for example).

You may want to just save this command in a script to run it manually when you feel like it's needed - or if you want to do regular automated syncing then schedule a task to run for it. I forget the name of this in Linux, but it's basically Linux equivalent of task scheduler in windows.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.