Background on setup

config

google is setup as my main drive
gcache is my cache (duh heh) that points to google
gcrypt is my encrypted drive that points to gcache

I mount all three just to see whats there

/mnt/discs/google
/mnt/discs/cache
/mnt/discs/media (this is my decrypted mount)

mount commands

rclone mount --max-read-ahead 1024k --allow-other google: /mnt/disks/google & 
 rclone mount --max-read-ahead 1024k --allow-other gcrypt: /mnt/disks/media & 
 rclone mount  -vv --allow-other gcache: /mnt/disks/gcache --dir-cache-time=48h --cache-info-age=48h --cache-chunk-path=/mnt/user/rc_chunks --cache-db-path=/mnt/user/rc_db --cache-workers=5 --cache-tmp-upload-path=/mnt/user/rclone_upload --cache-tmp-wait-time 60m --buffer-size 0M --attr-timeout=1s --rc &

So all mounts ok and im trying to sync up my media now to google. heres where the questions start

do i just copy /media/movies to /mnt/disks/media and all the caching is handled ?

Im using rclone -v --bwlimit=8M copy /media /mnt/disks/media right now to sync up some test movies. I can see them fine in /mnt/disks/media and on /mnt/disks/google in encrypted folders. I dont see them in /mnt/disks/gcache though/ is that normal?

Now with plex radar and sonar, I assume plex libraries point to /mnt/disks/media/movies etc and cause this is the encrypted part itll all be good.

The big thing is Im not sure this is all working the eway im thinking it is, and would like a sanity check.
When does cache drive get updated?
how come when i rclone copy to /mnt/disks/media is shows up in google before cache?
if i just use cp /media /mnt/disks/media does it write to disk and cache before it uploads to google?

Thanks for any pointers and just helping a beginner. I have 20tb to move to gdrive and want to make sure im good before starting.

Code

I’d probably avoid mounting all 3 so you didn’t hit a command on a mount that causes a ban or something along those lines.

max-read-ahead does nothing unless you have a custom compiled kernel.

My .rclone.conf

[GD]
type = drive
client_id = client_id
client_secret = secret
token = {"access_token":token","token_type":"Bearer","refresh_token":"token","expiry":"2018-04-07T16:50:48.46845534-04:00"}

[gcache]
type = cache
remote = GD:media
chunk_total_size = 32G
plex_url = http://192.168.1.30:32400
plex_username = email
plex_password = password
plex_token = token (this gets set after 1st it connects)

[gmedia]
type = crypt
remote = gcache:
filename_encryption = standard
password = password
password2 = password
directory_name_encryption = true

You want to mount your crypt line so my last line in my config:

/usr/bin/rclone mount gmedia: /gmedia \
   --allow-other \
   --dir-cache-time=160h \
   --cache-chunk-size=5M \
   --cache-info-age=168h \
   --cache-workers=5 \
   --cache-tmp-upload-path /data/rclone_upload \
   --cache-tmp-wait-time 60m \
   --buffer-size 0M \
   --attr-timeout=1s \
   --syslog \
   --umask 002 \
   --rc \
   --log-level INFO

I’d setup the plex integration if you can so that helps with the scans and playing files.

I point all my Plex/Sonar/Radarr to /gmedia/Movies or /gmedia/TV

Anything uploaded as you have setup stays in the temporary cache area until the timer hits and it upload. --cache-tmp-wait-time 60m means to wait 60 minutes before it uploads.

Cache polling was not working in vanilla 1.40 so grab the latest beta and you should be fine.

@Animosity022 so all clients, Plex, Radarr,Sonarr point to the same mount? All new files copied to the mount are automatically stored in cache and moved automatically up to the cloud when the timer expires? What happens if someone is watching a show when it begins to be moved to the remote storage?

Thanks. My issue is im not seeing anything sitting in the cach-tmp-upload path when i copy to it. I assume for initial sync from the old media files its best to use rclone copy ? or does it not matter?

I messed up. according to your mount, i had all the cache option on the cache mount not the encrypted mount

Im not just mounting my gcrypt to media. the tmp upload is working now holding the encrypted filedirs and file as i expected.

The last question , is rclone copy the best use to copy to that to not hit the api ban? if its writing to the crypt dir and i just say copy from the shell using cp -r for a big subdir how does that not kill my api calls? I guess im just disconnected on when to use rclone copy vs just cp to that dir?

from what i understand so far its not a move, its a copy delete so there wont be any issues

So even if someone is playing the tv show/movie at time it’s copied it should be fine then. That is really awesome. Did you update to the latest beta as well to get it working properly?

thats what im understanding

Yeah, it copies and moves it over.

I just copy directly into my rclone mount and it stages my uploads based on cache age time. That’s all done by Sonarr/Radarr and seems to work like a champ.

If you aren’t seeing your cache tmp uploads, post a full config.

Just to confirm @Animosity022, but do you use the normal post-processing copy in Sonarr/Radarr or do you custom script and rclone copy in that?
And also for delete, do you use rm or manually delete via rclone delete ?

@darthShadow I can’t speak for Animosity022. But I have a more or less identical setup to him (except I don’t use crypt.)
Personally I just let Sonarr & Radarr post process.

I don’t use anything special in Sonarr or Radarr.

The only 2 settings I have in each is I use copy instead of hard link (wouldn’t work anyway) and I have analyze video off.

So everything on the file system happens normally so it just runs a ‘rm’ when it replaces a file.

Thanks. working good now. Once i have my media all uploaded i will just uses the apps as normal (radaar sonaar etc) im using rclone copy right now with bwlimit 8M to copy to the cache dir as i have 20tb to initially upload so it seems its spacing it out nicely

@Dave_Hobson1 @Animosity022 That helps. Thanks.