Issues with Rclone and Dropbox

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Rclone app does not have permission to read Dropbox (business) files.

We had Rclone setup to copy users Dropbox files to GDrive.
It was working fine until the person who set it up had their Dropbox account deleted. Which I assume deleted their Rclone to Dropbox link. I have taken over trying to get it setup again but I'm running into difficulties

rclone v1.51.0

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.13.7

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Dropbox and Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Right now I'm just trying to do a basic impersonation to get it up and running again
rclone lsd --dropbox-impersonate myemail@gmail.com "Drop:"

2020/02/27 14:28:11 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.51.0" starting with parameters ["rclone" "lsd" "-vv" "--dropbox-impersonate" "myemail@gmail.com" "Drop:"]
2020/02/27 14:28:11 DEBUG : Using config file from "/root/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2020/02/27 14:28:12 ERROR : : error listing: Error in call to API function "files/list_folder": Unexpected select user header. Your app does not have permission to use this feature
2020/02/27 14:28:12 Failed to lsd with 2 errors: last error was: Error in call to API function "files/list_folder": Unexpected select user header. Your app does not have permission to use this feature

I'm a Team Admin of our Dropbox Business acc.
I went to Dropbox Developers App and created a new Dropbox Business Api app.
Permission - Team member management
Set our company as the owner of the app

Went to Rclone on my windows machine with Rclone (as out linux install is headless)
.rclone config
New config, Selected Dropbox,
Client ID - from new app on Dropbox,
Secret - From Dropbox,
Edit Advanced 'N',
Set redirect in Dropbox to http://localhost:53682/
Allowed Auto Config

On a local machine with a browser went to Dropbox oauth2 page

It opens a page and just says "This app is currently disabled."

Sorry If I dont have enough info here. It's my first time using it and just trying to get my head around it

EDIT: On my Dropbox connected apps page I see
rclone
Access:Full Dropbox

But when I try
rclone lsd --dropbox-impersonate gwallace@xanadu.ie "Drop:

I get the same error
Error in call to API function "team/members/get_info": This app is currently disabled.

What happens if you try this but leave the client ID and client secret blank to use rclone's - does that help?

Unfortunately not as it does not look to be a business account

2020/02/27 16:01:10 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.51.0" starting with parameters ["rclone" "lsd" "-vv" "--dropbox-impersonate" "email@email.com" "Newty:"]
2020/02/27 16:01:10 DEBUG : Using config file from "C:\Users\username\.config\rclone\rclone.conf"
2020/02/27 16:01:10 Failed to create file system for "Newty:": invalid dropbox team member: "email@email.com": Error in call to API function "team/members/get_info":
This API function requires a Dropbox Business API app key, but the OAuth 2 access token you provided was created with a Dropbox API app key. To create a a Dropbox Business API app key, see <https ://www. dropbox. com/developers/apps>.

rclone used to work with dropbox business accounts, I wonder if they changed something... I don't have a dropbox business account to test with at the moment.

I guess the thing to dig on would be

Maybe the app needs to be approved? Is there anything on the app creation screen indicating that?

Maybe you could ask support about it?

No, the app creation screen looks fine
I have a feeling it is due to the Dropbox account that was used initially being deleted is causing the issue.
I recreated the account but the App data is not showing. I'll see if Dropbox can see if it's still there

I started from scratch again and got 'Success! All done. Please go back to rclone.' when I authorised it but get the same message when I try to impersonate an account..

Thanks for your suggestions.
I'll update if I hear back on the issue

1 Like

The issue was between keyboard and chair :).

I had been registering "Dropbox Business API" apps with the "team member management" permission. To interact with the files on my team, I instead needed to register a "Dropbox Business API" app with the "team member file access" permission.

I setup a new remote with that setting and it work straight away.

Excellent :slight_smile: I was a bit worried I'd have to dig into that code and I haven't looked at it for ages!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.