Is this mount command OK?

Hi,

I currently use Rclone to mount my Google drive to use with Plex, this is the command I use:

rclone mount --allow-other --allow-non-empty --dir-cache-time 48h --vfs-cache-max-age 48h --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 4G --buffer-size 0M --umask 002 --cache-db-purge drive: /mnt/drive &

Videos load up quick but I do have a strange issue of that sometimes after 20 minutes the videos just stop and go back to the movie information screen but when I hit play it starts playing again?

Just wanted to make sure I am using a correct mount command.

Thanks.

You have some things in there that don’t matter as I think you are using the cache backend?

Allow-non-Empty allows for over mounting and hides things. I avoid like the plague.

Any of the VFS options aren’t needed if you are using the cache.

If you out the mount in debug with -vv and share the log when the error happens, we can see if rclone is the issue.

rclone mount --allow-other --dir-cache-time 48h --vfs-cache-max-age 48h --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 4G --buffer-size 0M --umask 002 --cache-db-purge -vv drive: /mnt/drive &

Shall I mount it like this? I have removed 'allow-non-empty' and added '-vv' at the end.

If you are using the cache backend, all that stuff is not needed.

Sorry forgot to mention I am not using a cache drive.

isn't needed as I would still remove all those items as the defaults are better values.

So if I remove the VFS options it will just use the default VFS values?

is just about all you need.

So does that still cache data locally?

The cache backend is the only thing that stores thing locally.

Do you think it's worth creating a cache backend?

Me personally? No, I have no use case for it. Depends on what you are doing/trying to achieve.

I stream Plex for my major use case and folks rarely play the same thing again so keeping anything local makes no sense for me.

Me and about 4 people are just streaming using Plex.

If you think that will suffice I will just use what you said.

Should be just fine for that.

Make sure you setup your own client ID/API key if you haven't.

https://rclone.org/drive/#making-your-own-client-id

That helps more than just about anything else you could possibly do.

Thanks for the info Animosity022, really appreciate it.

I tried the above command but almost immediately everything just slowed down and stopped loading. When I ran the command - 'rclone lsd drive:', it complained about exceeding GoogleAPI limit but when I ran it again it showed my directories.

I don't think I went over my limit:

When I changed back to my original mount command it was same thing slow loading/not loading at all.

I unmounted using the command 'fusermount -u /path/to/drive' is this correct to unmount because it looked like it was loading back up when I ran my original mount? Can I see which mount I am using?

EDIT:

Just tried the rclone lsd drive: command again and this is the error that pops up:

2019/05/15 08:27:33 ERROR : : error listing: couldn't list directory: googleapi: Error 429: Rate Limit Exceeded, rateLimitExceeded
2019/05/15 08:27:33 Failed to lsd: couldn't list directory: googleapi: Error 429: Rate Limit Exceeded, rateLimitExceeded

Edit: Just seen other people are having same issue with this error on the Rclone forum.

I have written this in the main 429 error thread but I think it will get lost in there.

Basically I have mounted by Rclone with the user string but even though every now loads OK through Plex randomly after about 20 mins things freeze and I have to restart Plex to get it working again and I still see 40-60% errors on my API graph. Do people still see errors?

Nope. No errors since adding the useragent string for me:

I'm in the US if that matters.

My mount is just this:

felix     4466     1  1 07:15 ?        00:19:02 /usr/bin/rclone mount gcrypt: /GD --allow-other --dir-cache-time 96h --log-level INFO --log-file /opt/rclone/logs/rclone.log --timeout 1h --umask 002 --user-agent someappname --rc

Hmm...this is the mount command I am using basically what you suggested earlier on but with the user string:

rclone mount --allow-other --dir-cache-time 48h --log-level INFO --log-file /home/seed/logs/rclone.log videodrive: /mnt/videodrive --user-agent='Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/74.0.3729.131 Safari/537.36': &

Are you sure it's actually picking up the user-agent setting and some old process isn't running?

You can check with a ps -ef | grep rclone

and see what it is running as.