Is it possible to "restore" (read: move) files in Google Trash to a different folder than the original?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

The issue is actually not necessarily with rclone - I signed up to be a beta tester for Google Drive. After installing the beta for the new consumer Google Drive Sync, somehow, everything got out of sync, most of my files ended up in Trash and the ones I could restore ended up in different places than where they are supposed to me.

I'm wondering if I use the --drive-trash-only option, whether I can mount the Trash folder and move all the files locally, so I can (hopefully) restore everything close to the way I had it before the beta exploded on me.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Linux Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Haven't run any yet because I don't want to mess up the Google Drive Trash folder anymore until I know there is a way I can do what I need to do.

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

N/A

Many thanks!!

Update your version and see:

Thank you, I did see that thread, but the way I read that thread and the untrash command in the rclone Docs.

The Docs has this sentence: This command untrashes all the files and directories in the directory passed in recursively.

What is not clear to me is the second half of the sentence "... in the directory passed in recursively."

Could you help me clarify? For example, if I did the following, would that achieve what I want (i.e. all the files in Trash, but not in their respective original directory tree, but just the files):

mkdir ~/gdriverestore
cd ~/gdriverestore
rclone backend untrash remote:

Will ~/gdriverestore end up with just a bunch of files and no subdirectory structure?

BTW, thank you+++++++ to the developers of rclone. Without it, I would never have been able to even get to the stage I'm at!!!!

You'd run the command with -i and you can see what is going to be untrashed.

It doesn't put anything local as it untrashes your remote.

rclone backend untrash remote: -i

and you'll see what it would / can restore.

Ah! That's what i thought. I'm looking to move the files in Trash locally then empty the trash. Is that possible? I really don't want the Trashed files back in Google Drive.

Make a remote with:

https://rclone.org/drive/#drive-trashed-only

and mount it and do what you want.

1 Like

Thank you! I had a guy feeling it is possible, but I've had enough problems with Google Drive and near 1TB of data that I needed confirmation before attempting it! Making solved. Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.