Interference with syncing?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

rclone is fantastic but I'm unsure how to ensure that local use doesn't interfere with sync.

My intention is to have a local directory which I sync regularly and is only encrypted when synced with my Google drive. Locally the directory could thus indeed just be a directory but I wonder if writing to files in it will interfere with syncing which I intend to schedule with crontab. If so, setting up a mount would be preferable and have my sync script unmount it before syncing (and notifying me if overnight syncing failed if it couldn't be unmounted).

I have the same concern with a local directory I intend to have for more sensitive data, i.e. which I mount when I use it. Should I ensure that it's unmounted before being backed up to Google Drive?

Finally I also wonder if I risk getting some problems if multiple rclone instances thus run at the same time. Should I as a precaution e.g. make them use separate temporary and cache directories?

I really like rclone (donation made!) and have tried to grasp this by reading the guide and doing some testing on my own but have to ask since I know that this is the sort of thing which might seem to work perfectly for a long time until it doesn't and the problem goes unnoticed. I'm simply not confident enough that my setup is correct.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.61.1

• os/version: ubuntu 22.10 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.19.0-35-generic (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.19.4
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

Writing to files in the mount could cause those files not to sync properly, however they will sync properly the next time your crontab runs, so I wouldn't worry about it.

You can use this flag if the things you are updating are log files and you'd like the initial part of them updated regardless.

--local-no-check-updated   Don't check to see if the files change during upload

Thank you!

Changing files may cause the changed file not to sync properly. Rclone will likely retry it (there are 3 tries of the whole sync by default). If that doesn't fix it then the next time the sync is run it will get fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.