Insufficient permissions when trying to move files across Google Drive accounts

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm having trouble moving unencrypted files across Google Drive accounts, server-side, using rclone (NOT using a Shared/Team Drive). I'm using the --drive-server-side-across-configs flag and am receiving the error:

Couldn't move: googleapi: Error 403: The user does not have sufficient permissions for this file., insufficientFilePermissions

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.51.0
 - os/arch: windows/amd64
 - go version: go1.13.7

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows 10, 64 bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone move "account1:Other/JFK Files" "account2:Misc/JFK Files2" --drive-server-side-across-configs -v

A log from the command with the -vv flag (eg output from rclone -vv copy /tmp remote:tmp)

2020/05/04 17:48:11 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.51.0" starting with parameters ["rclone" "move" "account1:Other/JFK Files" "account2:Misc/JFK Files2" "--drive-server-side-across-configs" "-vv"]
2020/05/04 17:48:11 DEBUG : Using config file from "C:\\Users\\[protected]\\.config\\rclone\\rclone.conf"
2020/05/04 17:48:19 ERROR : July 2017/formerly withheld in full/jfk-july_2017_release-formerly_withheld_in_full-12of18.zip: Couldn't move: googleapi: Error 403: The user does not have sufficient permissions for this file., insufficientFilePermissions
2020/05/04 17:48:19 ERROR : July 2017/formerly withheld in full/jfk-july_2017_release-formerly_withheld_in_full-13of18(1).zip: Couldn't move: googleapi: Error 403: The user does not have sufficient permissions for this file., insufficientFilePermissions
2020/05/04 17:48:19 ERROR : July 2017/formerly withheld in full/jfk-july_2017_release-formerly_withheld_in_full-10of18.zip: Couldn't move: googleapi: Error 403: The user does not have sufficient permissions for this file., insufficientFilePermissions

I believe for server side, the source accounts to be able to write to the second account as it's being done server side.

How do you have the permissions setup?

What do you mean by permissions? I have full access setup through the rclone configuration for each account.

The error is telling you that User A on the source doesn't have access on the destination you are copying to:

User A needs to be able to see both sides if you want to use server side,

If source user doesn't have access on the destination, you need to remove --drive-server-side-across-configs

I see. Do I need to share the source and destination folders between accounts then?

It depends. If you only want to go A->B, A needs access to B. If you want B->A, B would need access to A.

This is only a requirement for server side moves as that all happens on Google's side.

Ok, I'm moving A->B, so I shared B's folder with A.

I retried and it started moving server-side successfully, then quickly went into basically all throwing either
Error 404: File not found: [protected]., notFound
or Error 403: The user does not have sufficient permissions for this file., insufficientFilePermissions

Right.

You'd have to adjust/add to your remotes to match the config you just made. If you are referring remote B still with the B user, it won't work.

To walk through it, you'd have to share your rclone.conf without passwords and the command you are using to copy / sync.

Command:
rclone move "account1:Other/JFK Files" "account2:Misc/JFK Files2" --drive-server-side-across-configs -vv

rclone.conf:

[account1]
type = drive
token = {"access_token":"[PROTECTED]","token_type":"Bearer","refresh_token":"[PROTECTED]","expiry":"2020-05-04T21:26:41.7584756-04:00"}
client_id = [PROTECTED].apps.googleusercontent.com
client_secret = [PROTECTED]
root_folder_id = [PROTECTED]

[account2]
type = drive
client_id = [PROTECTED].apps.googleusercontent.com
client_secret = [PROTECTED]
token = {"access_token":"[PROTECTED]","token_type":"Bearer","refresh_token":"[PROTECTED]","expiry":"2020-05-04T21:40:34.2428584-04:00"}
root_folder_id = [PROTECTED]

So from that, I'm assuming they are two just drives as they don't seem to be team drives.

Also assuming you shared account2 with the user for account1.

So you'd make another remote with account2's credentials and use the shared-with-me flag in the config for the remote so you'd only see the shared files. Test the remote with rclone ls or something and validate you are seeing what you'd expect and the copy that new account 2 remote to the regular account2 if I'm getting the flow right.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.